Overclockers want entry level segment back.

The most impressive part is because of its dual core nature it litterally only ran in the high 50s/low 60s at 4.7ghz.

Exactly why I'm tempted to do it haha. OC'ing low-to-mid end CPU's was always fun in the Core 2 days. And since the new Pentiums are dirt cheap... it would make an overhaul of my desktop fairly easy to do.

I could always upgrade the CPU as well, couldn't I?

Yup its a socket lga 1150. Gigabyte has their z97 gaming board at 150 should oc decently + a 75$ cpu and a decent 80$ ram kit your looking at under 350 to upgrade problem is you do want a half decent cooler though.

How did I miss posts on my own damn thread??

Yea, 4.7GHz running right next to the 4970k with similar numbers, doesn't require a massive cooling unit to achieve this, and is easily upgradable to a quad core variant later on. The exact reasoning I've been trying to get those other two to get this setup. The days of old buying cheap product to mimic more expensive hardware came back for a return with this little beast.

How did I miss posts on my own damn thread??

Yea, 4.7GHz running right next to the 4970k with similar numbers, doesn't require a massive cooling unit to achieve this, and is easily upgradable to a quad core variant later on. The exact reasoning I've been trying to get those other two to get this setup. The days of old buying cheap product to mimic more expensive hardware came back for a return with this little beast.

The good 'ol days :big_grin:.

Just noticed my MOBO CPU temp alarm went off while playing Far Cry 3. The alarm beeps when it reaches 60C, I got to 64C. This summer heat is killing my overclocking! I already lowered the core speed by 100MHZ to 4.4GHZ. Now I had to increase my cpu fan speed a bit too.

after, I ran prime and furmark. I was reaching 69C core, and 85 with my GPU(overclocked too)

Of course this is like the worst possible heat scenario for a pc, but still, its only 75F(94% humidity so it feels really hot) outside, and when I did this 2 months ago my max temps were below 55C for core. Thats with my case fans on silent though, with turbo it lowers everything about 4C, and is still quieter than the fan in my window. The GPU is always fine temp wise, nothing works it as hard as furmark, so I expect high reading, even though before it was 10C cooler
:( All in all is doing ok though for a moded stock cooler, with the stock 70mm fan ripped out, a 120mm cooler master fan zip tied on, and aluminum foil to channel the air...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom