AMD or Intel, pulling the trigger

Intel is notorious for compatibility for cpu upgrades, by the time the OP decides he wants to upgrade to an i5, they will no longer be available for his board...let's see...
There was the 1156, 1155, 1150, 1151, 1366, and 2011and that all with in a couple years...none which are compatible with each others cpu's. AMD has a good reputation for backwards compatibility on most of their cpu's
You might consider that option if you go with the Intel route

This is socket 1150. He will be able to get a 4670k for quite a long while. With that logic, by the time he wants to upgrade an 8350 won't be anywhere near relevant which is where AMD dedicated CPUs stop.

Btw, I didn't know they released Skylake processors already :lol: That would be 1151.

Anyways, the G3258 can be overclocked and even rivals Intel's latest i7 4790k in gaming speeds. He might not even need to actually upgrade anytime soon.

The 1151 boards will have DDR4 which should be out by Q1 of next year, that's just a little over 1/2 year from today
If I got an AM3+ board I could use an old Athlon, a Phenom or an FX chip in that same board today...FM chips being an exception
You missed the point that Intel does not make it's chips backward compatible for it's newer and upcoming boards

Last edited:
SB and IB were on the same socket which was 1155. Still though, backwards compatibility isn't exactly an issue because like I said it's not really relevant to your upgrade paths for AMD. The highest chip you can get is the 8350 which is already bested by a 4670k in almost all apps besides the most CPU intensive applications. This guy wants to game and the G3258 will do just that, and will do so better than any AMD chips in his budget. Add that to the fact the you can overclock the 3258 easily on air to get i5 and i7 performance it's a clear winner. Not only does he have good performance now, but he still does have a forward upgrade path to the 4670k or 4770k (or Devil's Canyon variants) both of which are faster than an 8350.

Lets be fair, the A10 AMD chip is about in the same price range as an i3 chip, so if you compare on a price per value, the A10 is a decent deal for the dollar spent.
Here's a comparative review of an i3 with the A10 chipset, because the price ranges are very close. Of course the i5's and i7's are better chips, but you'll cough up more $$$ for them too

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/richland_review2013?page=0,0

Yea, but that's an APU which uses FM socket, which goes against your previous backwards compatibility argument :p Even still, it still gets outperformed by the last gen i3. This is a similarly stock clocked Haswell processor which will be 5-10% faster than that 3220 in gaming.

Still though, the 3258 overclocked on air can perform on par with i5/i7 in gaming, which being less than 100 bucks, and still has the availability of being upgraded to said i5 or i7 in the future on the same board. Oh, and it doesn't put off a **** ton of heat either because its wattage is so ridiculously low meaning a 212 EVO can take this thing to 4.3ish speeds. Linus compared the 3258 to an i7 4790k and they run almost neck and neck overclocked with a high end video card meaning it won't bottleneck a 780ti either.

The 3258 is what the older days used to be. Buying a low end part to emulate a high end part for way less the cost. Embrace it, because it's awesome! If I already didn't have a badass CPU I'd hop on this train.

Back
Top Bottom