Is PCI Express the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfHearts

Baseband Member
I am going to be building a new computer and I am being told that since I am starting new that I would be crazy to get a mobo that is not PCI-E. Is this true?

You wouldn't be crazy, because I am getting a non PCI-Express Mobo here soon and I'm not crazy. Besides that it is the future but AGP isn't going to disappear anytime soon. I believe the PCI-Express Motherboards aren't that much more anyways. If you're building a gaming platform, then wait for the Nforce4 boards to come out (unless i missed the memo that they have already) and get yourself an AMD 64 bit cpu.

PCI-E will be the future, but it's not really an advantage yet. the cards out now still haven't taken full advantage of AGP 8x, although maybe the next gen cards will

Remember the beginnings of AGP and how many times it has changed? I think PCI express is going to do the same thing so be carefull about jumping on the bandwagon if you want something that is going to last.

Josh

basically, PCI-E was recently released and it's going to be awhile before things start to change. So i guess sticking with AGP at the moment would be the better choice =]

PCI-EX is the future, but there is still plenty of power left in AGP. I imagine it wont be till next generation of cards or maybe even the generation after that we start to see AGP go completely to the wayside.

kinda depends on how long you wanna keep your computer and how effective you want it to be. I dont think PCI-E will really catch on for awhile as apokolipse said they dont even fully utilize agp 8x yet. the technology probably wont be smoothed out for a while yet. so right now it is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom