Needed cables for SATA computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
My new system will be a SATA hard drive with IDE cd/dvd drives. What cables do I need and how long should they be?

Case: Lian-Li PC-65B
Abit AV8 K8T800 Pro Chipset mobo for AMD Socket 939
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA 3'5 HDD
COOLMAX 500W Taurus CX Series Silent Power Supply, 1 x 120mm fan
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM
SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1613/B2s, OEM
ASUS 52x32x52 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive, Model CRW-5232AS, OEM

That motherboard will come with all the data cables you will need so no worries. Has IDE cable with 2 connections and also 2 SATA cables.

Josh

True_Orb said:
Oh, so I don't need to buy any cables at all? Thanks!

No, you don't unless you want to run the DVD and cd drive on different IDE channels but this won't help you much so I wouldn't bother.

Josh

You may need one cable, I'm not sure if that hard drive can be connected to a standard power plug from the power supply or not but the power supply may have a SATA plug anyway, if not then you may need an adapter. If this is the case let me know, I have a bunch of those laying around collecting dust.

Josh

Just checked, the hard drive requires a SATA power plug and that case does not come with a power supply anyway so just be sure to purchase a power supply with the SATA power plugs.

Josh

Well my currented selected PSU is COOLMAX 500W Taurus CX Series Silent Power Supply, 1 x 120mm fan, 3 Speed Fan Control Switch (Auto, Low, Medium), BLACK, Model "CX-500B"
but i am reluctant since it has no specified approvals OR additional cable equipment.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album

COOLMAX 500W Taurus CX Series Silent Power Supply, 1 x 120mm fan, 3 Speed Fan Control Switch (Auto, Low, Medium), BLACK, Model "CX-500B"
Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 500W
PFC: Yes
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Hold-up Time: Not Specified
Efficiency: >65% at full load
Over Voltage Protection: on all output
Overload Protection: on all output
Input Voltage: 115~ 230 V
Input Frequency Range: 50-60 Hz
Input Current: 10/5.5 A