Bsod on startup, cannot boot into windows at all.

Well, one piece of info I'd like before I suggesting recovering items via a LiveCD and buying a new HDD...

When you run Startup Repair and it fails, can you click on the details link (or whatever it was called, been a while since I've looked at it)? Scroll through it, and see which item failed (will have an error/return code of something other than 0x0).

One more thing you could try (after retrieving the above info)... Go back to the command prompt, and try:

sfc /scannow

Well, one piece of info I'd like before I suggesting recovering items via a LiveCD and buying a new HDD...

When you run Startup Repair and it fails, can you click on the details link (or whatever it was called, been a while since I've looked at it)? Scroll through it, and see which item failed (will have an error/return code of something other than 0x0).

One more thing you could try (after retrieving the above info)... Go back to the command prompt, and try:

sfc /scannow
Nothing failed but system restore 0x1f (probably because of turning off system restore to speed up laptop.) I have f3 restore with a cd that I don't know what it's purpose is, because my laptop came with the disk without a drive to put it in. Tried sfc but can't do it says there is a system repair pending which requires reboot.
Don't have enough money to buy a new hdd.

Nothing failed but system restore 0x1f (probably because of turning off system restore to speed up laptop.) I have f3 restore with a cd that I don't know what it's purpose is, because my laptop came with the disk without a drive to put it in. Tried sfc but can't do it says there is a system repair pending which requires reboot.
Don't have enough money to buy a new hdd.

Ah, ok, ignore the system restore error then.

If you're getting the pending reboot message, run this command instead:

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows

I still suggest saving up and getting a new HDD... because if it took since yesterday to finish the chkdsk, and you have that many bad sectors... your HDD is dying like I said already.

If possible, it would be a good idea to backup any important data to a flash drive or external HDD. You can do this by downloading an Ubuntu LiveCD, and either putting it on a bootable flashdrive using UNetbootin or burning it to a CD. Then boot off of the flashdrive or CD, and copy over any important data by using the file explorer.

Ah, ok, ignore the system restore error then.

If you're getting the pending reboot message, run this command instead:

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows

I still suggest saving up and getting a new HDD... because if it took since yesterday to finish the chkdsk, and you have that many bad sectors... your HDD is dying like I said already.

If possible, it would be a good idea to backup any important data to a flash drive or external HDD. You can do this by downloading an Ubuntu LiveCD, and either putting it on a bootable flashdrive using UNetbootin or burning it to a CD. Then boot off of the flashdrive or CD, and copy over any important data by using the file explorer.

The good thing is, I already backed up my important stuff, but some things still remain on there. I will use your advice, and the command to do what I need to do.
One more thing, I have a MSI u180 laptop with 1gb of ram which is slowwww and a 320gb hdd split into 2 hdds in windows, not irl. I've been to a forum called 7forums and posted a review on it, and have seen most of the people complaining about speed ( about 65% of them polled on speed issues.) and 10% problems with the battery failing! and the rest with hdd failing and completely scratching the platter due to manufacturing issues. I am going to save up for either a new computer, or a 1tb 60$ hdd.
Any more advice / help you can give me?

The good thing is, I already backed up my important stuff, but some things still remain on there. I will use your advice, and the command to do what I need to do.
One more thing, I have a MSI u180 laptop with 1gb of ram which is slowwww and a 320gb hdd split into 2 hdds in windows, not irl. I've been to a forum called 7forums and posted a review on it, and have seen most of the people complaining about speed ( about 65% of them polled on speed issues.) and 10% problems with the battery failing! and the rest with hdd failing and completely scratching the platter due to manufacturing issues. I am going to save up for either a new computer, or a 1tb 60$ hdd.
Any more advice / help you can give me?

Not at the moment.

Glad I could be of help so far, though.

Let's make sure the drive letter is correct in the recovery environment. From the command prompt (each line is a separate command):

diskpart
list disk
select disk=# (where # = the number of the disk)
list volume

Should show the list of drive letters. Make note of the drive letter your Windows install is installed on, and then replace the drive letter in the SFC command with the one you took note of (if it's different that is).

Back
Top Bottom