Trying to Decide between 2 CPU/RAM configs

tsK_2980

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide between two Dell Inspiron laptop computers. Assuming all other attributes are the same (e.g., graphics card, display, laptop model), which of the following hardware configuration provides better performance (e.g., speed, stability, response)?

Option 1: Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4210U with 12 GB RAM (DDR3L)
<or>
Option 2: Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4510U with 8 GB RAM (DDR3L)

Also, I will be using the laptop computer for 50% general purposes (Web Browsing, YouTube, MS Word, graphics heavy Powerpoint), 30% Photoshopping, 20% audio recording/editing. No real gaming.

Thanks in advance for any input.
-Tony

Last edited:
Both are relatively the same. Dual core chips with HT. THe i7 has a higher clock speed and turbo speed so really in reality ask yourself this. Will I be doing things that requires a lot of RAM, or will I need more initial speed and will upgrade the RAM later if I need it?

The answer only depends on what you plan on doing with the laptop. If you won't be editing any videos or rendering large objects that requires a ton of RAM or something then 8GB is plenty for any average user or gamer and the extra speed of the i7 will make it last longer.

Thanks again PP Mguire. I've re-updated my original post with info my intended use.

Both are relatively the same. Dual core chips with HT. THe i7 has a higher clock speed and turbo speed so really in reality ask yourself this. Will I be doing things that requires a lot of RAM, or will I need more initial speed and will upgrade the RAM later if I need it?

The answer only depends on what you plan on doing with the laptop. If you won't be editing any videos or rendering large objects that requires a ton of RAM or something then 8GB is plenty for any average user or gamer and the extra speed of the i7 will make it last longer.

Thanks PP Mguire. What about comparing the above 4th Gen i5 with a 3rd Gen i7 (e.g., 3537U)?

Then I suggest just stick with the i7 for the faster stock clocks and upgrading the RAM later if you actually need to. I doubt you will though.

Back
Top Bottom