CPU or GPU?

Aerensiniac

Solid State Member
Current GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB (0x6759)
Current CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16Ghz (LGA 775 - Wolfdale)

So like... i was about to buy myself a new graphic card when one of my friends suggested to forget it because my cpu is too old and it would bottleneck anything i bought.
Both GPU and CPU could use an update since they both lag behind times, but i can afford only to change one. Either i buy some high end GPU between 150-200$ or i get an entry tier i3-4130 and thus change my motherboard/ram/cpu.

The question is, which would be more justified/pressing?
Thank you for any insights/suggestions you can offer.

Current GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB (0x6759)
Current CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16Ghz (LGA 775 - Wolfdale)

So like... i was about to buy myself a new graphic card when one of my friends suggested to forget it because my cpu is too old and it would bottleneck anything i bought.
Both GPU and CPU could use an update since they both lag behind times, but i can afford only to change one. Either i buy some high end GPU between 150-200$ or i get an entry tier i3-4130 and thus change my motherboard/ram/cpu.

The question is, which would be more justified/pressing?
Thank you for any insights/suggestions you can offer.
What games do you play? Platform change to an i3 would be a significant increase in performance and give you a good upgradable platform. If you bought something like a 750ti (which isn't a high end card) it would be heavily bottlenecked by the CPU.

What games do you play? Platform change to an i3 would be a significant increase in performance and give you a good upgradable platform. If you bought something like a 750ti (which isn't a high end card) it would be heavily bottlenecked by the CPU.
For example's sake lets see...
Skyrim, Planetside 2, The secret world, Starcraft 2, etc

The other problem is that even though i think i have enough money to grab a radeon r9 270x, the idea gives me the creeps since im unsure how this old of a hardware/motherboard would react to it.

It would work, but your current GPU will "handle" those games albeit lower settings and resolution. Get yourself that i3, a cheap H81 board (the Asus K one should be available in your area), and the cheapest 1600MHz 8GB set of DDR3 you can get. It's the best option you have, because later on you can get yourself a nice i5 or even pair a much better GPU to that i3. I have a buddy running a 2GB 680 on an i3 3130 without issue.

I have to ask, is your current setup a pre-built? And what kind of PSU are you running?

well a cheaper option is to buy used. i see that ur in Hungary. i know if maybe u have something like craiglist there like we tho here in the U.S.

It would work, but your current GPU will "handle" those games albeit lower settings and resolution. Get yourself that i3, a cheap H81 board (the Asus K one should be available in your area), and the cheapest 1600MHz 8GB set of DDR3 you can get. It's the best option you have, because later on you can get yourself a nice i5 or even pair a much better GPU to that i3. I have a buddy running a 2GB 680 on an i3 3130 without issue.

I have to ask, is your current setup a pre-built? And what kind of PSU are you running?
Its not a pre-built. I prefer to build myself, comparing and picking from multiple sources. Less kool-aid and bad surprises that way.
Didnt think much about the PSU, i figured i would go with the standard 400W for now, and the setup i had in mind was a H81 mATX, i3-4130 and 2x2gb 1600mhz ram. I wanted to play around with the prices to somehow get 8gb, but with my current budget that would be impossible.

well a cheaper option is to buy used. i see that ur in Hungary. i know if maybe u have something like craiglist there like we tho here in the U.S.
True enough.

What's the brand of 400w you're talking here? A decent 400w with that i3 and a 750ti later would be fine.

Is 1333 cheaper? If so, I would do anything to make 8GB fit in your budget.

Is 1333 cheaper? If so, I would do anything to make 8GB fit in your budget.
Thats what i was baffled about myself. The difference between 1333 and 1600 is like 0.5 euro. Literally.
So the only way i could bend that in is by passing on the i3 and grab a standard lga1150 dual core, which is kind of a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Not really. The only difference between the Pentium high ends and the i3 is HT.

Here in the US the 4130 and G3450 has a 25 dollar difference but are pretty much the same CPU.

If you can wait like a week the G3258 is the Anniversary Edition chip. It is only 75 bucks but can be overclocked on any S1150 board. If you can get a decent overclock on it you'll be getting i5 performance in a lot of games.

Back
Top Bottom