Consumer SSD lifespan.

No moving parts = good Mean Time Before Failure rate!
I've even heard that when they do start to fail, you won't be able to write anything to the ssd drive but the ssd drive will still be accessible to read from

Yup, or they just outright die like the 840 and Intel did. Which sucks just as bad.

Just wanted to post this here showing people that not only can SSDs last a hell of a long time (because we don't constantly write to them), but they can easily outlast HDDs too. So the paranoia can really quit because it's annoying =/

I think the price per gb of an ssd versus a platter drive is a major factor for a lot of peeps too. Although I'm seeing some off brand 250 gb ssd's going for as little as $140. or less, that's still about 3x to 4x the price for a platter drive of an identical size

True, but when you think about it you only really need that amount of space for storage. I would not buy an SSD to just sit there. You can get 120GB SSDs for about 80 bucks or less these days and they are just dropping. That's less than $1/GB and very worth it IMO for the performance benefit.

I like ssd drives too, but your comparing something that's $1. per gb to a platter drive that's around .10 to .15 cents per gb. T think if you break down the life span of an ssd and compared the price of an ssd, The ssd is cheaper but folks do not take the time to look at that. Also 250 and 500 gb ssd drives would outlast a 120 gb drive. So I would recommend at least a 250 gb drive and if the budget allows. get the 500

Not really about the life span when you're talking about cheap stuff here, although a 120GB SSD will still last longer than its worth. I've been using a 120GB SSD as my main drive for 3 years now without issue. That was my point in the previous post. The OP is warding off the naysayers about lifespan saying they will die blah blah. It's still extremely beneficial to buy a 120GB SSD for 80 or so bucks to use as your main drive as it really does make a world of difference in day to day computer usage. Odds have it the person doing the addition with the SSD has a 250GB or whatever drive they can use for additional programs that don't really take advantage of an SSD.

Anywho like I said up there, the whole point of thread really is not telling people to buy an SSD, but for those select few that are paranoid about lifespan to calm their **** because it's nothing to worry about if you buy into a quality drive.

Anywho like I said up there, the whole point of thread really is not telling people to buy an SSD, but for those select few that are paranoid about lifespan to calm their **** because it's nothing to worry about if you buy into a quality drive.

I suggest on your offline time you look into this first:
SSD Acceleratorâ„¢ maximizes drive performance

Then I recommend you look at this and check out the ssd health status or performance.

SSD life - tool for solid state drives health and endurance monitoring

Not trying to trash anyones dreams or likes for ssd drives but this is why I rather use a normal hdd.
After so many writes and rewrites to any ssd we can say for sure its game over when the drive dies.
People would be best at getting a normal drive for windows and storage just in case the ssd dies at any time.

Well known tech sites have been doing lots of tests that people have wanted answers for, and one of them seems to be coming around.

How long will my SSD last? I think this should clear things up quite a bit. Decent SSDs can last a hell of a long time.

Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time | Ars Technica

2 of the most recommended by myself are still writing over 1PB.

Awesome; the only thing holding me back right now from getting an SSD in my laptop is price / gig is still fairly high for the capacity I'd want.

I suggest on your offline time you look into this first:
SSD Acceleratorâ„¢ maximizes drive performance

Then I recommend you look at this and check out the ssd health status or performance.

SSD life - tool for solid state drives health and endurance monitoring

Not trying to trash anyones dreams or likes for ssd drives but this is why I rather use a normal hdd.
After so many writes and rewrites to any ssd we can say for sure its game over when the drive dies.
People would be best at getting a normal drive for windows and storage just in case the ssd dies at any time.
The drives that have survived constant writes since last August have written over a petabyte of information to those SSDs. That is more than any of us could write with normal use in the relevant lifespan of the drive. By relevant, I mean in 10+ years time we will be on to better tech as flash based storage is still developing strongly. Considering two of the drives that are still constantly writing 24/7 are the two most recommended by me I think I'll stick to recommending SSDs for those who don't want to hold back their PC. That very article finally wards off the naysayers.

Back
Top Bottom