2 HDD Questions (Fraps and Data)

LoleMillionaire

Beta member
So i am purchasing another computer (For my dads house when i visit) and im in a bit of a dilema . . .

Main Argument

So my main computer that i use all the time to game etc , is a pretty solid computer spec wise (Full specs down below) but however when i am playing games , i like to record , Just in case anything epic happens ;) , but my FPS takes a massive dump and will drop dramatically more than 40 FPS every minute or so (Even on games like CS: GO). After searching around i have come to the conclusion that i will need another HDD to write my fraps recroding's on to whilst playing the game on the other HDD. With my computer that i am ordering i thought i could just take the HDD out of that and use it in tandem to my main computer (Obviously i will take the hard drives between visits if your wondering) .

My main question's are;

1) How will using 2 HDD's work for fraps?

2) How can i transfer the data between Drives?

3) How do i set this up?

4) Are there any flaws?

Specs

Intel Core i5-4670K, EVGA GeForce GTX 660, Aerocool StrikeX-GT Black - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom (Main Computer)

Just to confirm , i am familiar with I.T Terminology so dont be affraid to use it. (Apart from RAID , very confused on what that is)

Would really appreciate a quick response as this is my first time posting a poll on here :) , Thanks​

What you want to do is RAID. RAID 0 strips data to write to 2 (or more) drives at the same time essentially "doubling" your bandwidth. This is not transferrable between PCs.

My opinion? Use Shadowplay. Your card is capable and it has basically 0 impact on your PC while recording. Your problem while using FRAPS isn't your HDD bandwidth really, but more so just how unrealistically demanding it is. Having a 4GB 680, a 3960x, and recording to an SSD my FPS tanks as well and I have completely switched over to using Shadowplay.

Shadowplay is a program built into Nvidia Geforce Experience made for Nvidia graphics cards. You can get it from their main website.

Transfer between the two PCs? Flash drive? If you went for RAID your RAID setup is stuck to one PC.

Back
Top Bottom