BSOD and no post

mud beaver

In Runtime
Hey guys,

i was just playing a game on steam and listening to some music when my screen froze and all the sound stopped

it went right to a bsod and at the bottom it said

dumping physical memory......

the bsod stayed there then i did a hard boot by holding the power button in

now when i try to start up the system it turns on but the mobo doesnt post and the monitor scans for an input device but doesnt find one then the monitor goes to sleep

i tried switching my graphics cards

tried removing one ram stick, then the other

tried unplugging everything, all usb devices etc

i cleared the cmos by removing the cmos battery

the keyboard and mouse usually flash and change colors according to personal settings
when i turn the system on but now they just stay one color and dont respond to anything

my system specs are

Nvidia 650 P5NE - SLI
EVGA 9800GT 512 DDR3
2 GB Corsair XMS ram

I hope its just the PSU but i fear its the mobo or the cpu

How can I tell which it is ?

thanks for any info or help

Yup it could be the mobo. That happen to me on my other build and it was the mobo. If u have another psu to try that would narrow it down more.

Have you tried just one stick of ram by itself? Is probably not the ram but better make sure. If it was the ram I think u would at least the post screen giving the ram error.

Last edited:
I tried one stick of ram by itself then the other stick by itself I also switched the slots and tried all the combos

I am hopeing its the psu, for obvious reasons, but the mobo light comes on so im doubtful

I dont have an extra psu to try, the only extra one i have is really old, 14 years, and its like 350 or 400 watt out of my old dell 4300

i dont want to take the rig to a repair place and get mauled in costs when i know i can fix it if i just knew which component it was that needed replacing

thanks for the reply and any further help that gets posted

Unfortunately the only way to be sure if is the psu is to try a different one. If u can buy one and keep the receipt so u can return it if it ant the psu that's bad. I think is the board but I could be wrong.

Also have u tried a different screen or video cable might as we'll check that to just in case.

the monitor and video ( DVI ) cable are about a month old
would they cause the mobo to not post ?

I ordered a new psu in hopes that it cures the problem
figure i would try that since its the least expensive and easy to install

only prob is, with my ancient gaming rig not working I am going through DayZ withdrawl

thanks for all the help

When i try to start up the system it turns on but the mobo doesnt post and the monitor scans for an input device but doesnt find one then the monitor goes to sleep.

I cleared the cmos by removing the cmos battery
The keyboard and mouse usually flash and change colors according to personal settings.
When i turn the system on but now they just stay one color and dont respond to anything

Turn off your machine, unplug the hdd, unplug the optical drive.
Remove all of your ram, plug in the speaker, push the power button.

Tell me what happens when you do this.

Hey guys,

i was just playing a game on steam and listening to some music when my screen froze and all the sound stopped

it went right to a bsod and at the bottom it said

dumping physical memory......

the bsod stayed there then i did a hard boot by holding the power button in

now when i try to start up the system it turns on but the mobo doesnt post and the monitor scans for an input device but doesnt find one then the monitor goes to sleep

i tried switching my graphics cards

tried removing one ram stick, then the other

tried unplugging everything, all usb devices etc

i cleared the cmos by removing the cmos battery

the keyboard and mouse usually flash and change colors according to personal settings
when i turn the system on but now they just stay one color and dont respond to anything

my system specs are

Nvidia 650 P5NE - SLI
EVGA 9800GT 512 DDR3
2 GB Corsair XMS ram

thanks for any info or help

In addition to clearing CMOS by removing the battery, have you tried looking for the jumper pins and clearing CMOS by shorting the 2 jumper pins? Sometimes I've had better luck doing it that way than just the CMOS battery, even though it's supposed to do exactly the same thing.

my mobo doesnt have a jumper
i removed the battery and left it out for half an hour then replaced the old one with a new one

I removed everything from the mobo except the ide cables and the hdd cables and tried it but it did not beep

I ordered a new psu so i hope that fixes it after that i will just replace the mobo and or the cpu

thanks for all the info guys

Does your mobo have an onboard speaker that beeps normally?

If it does, and it didn't beep at all when you removed all of your RAM modules... then I'd say its most likely an issue with the board.

Back
Top Bottom