Here it goes | build

Re: Here it goes

Yes. And for the cost of the additional PSU and motherboard you could afford the cheap Intel and board to pair with the 8GB of RAM for actual decent performance.

42 bucks.
ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

A cheap decent PSU to give you enough headroom for OCing the APU to decent speeds here.
CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

This Celeron only 5 bucks more.
Intel Celeron G1840 Haswell Dual-Core 2.8GHz LGA 1150 53W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646G1840 - Newegg.com

So really, your choice. Just giving you options here. I know you're just wanting to toss things around to learn or whatever. Knowing better buys is half the battle.

Good point! I was actually getting there.. After I realized I would need to purchase a PSU I decided maybe I would just leave it homeless lol

gonna think about it. at this point nothing... and I grateful for the input you provide!

One extra thing to think about, is you'll need a beefy aftermarket heatsink to OC the APU to come close to the speeds the Celeron provides which adds extra cost to the APU build. Also if you don't use the IGP the Celeron takes about 20w or so meaning you could use the cheap dedicated card with the 300w PSU without any worry at all. COuld even toss a 750ti in there for some gaming. AND if you wanted to upgrade later you have the option to go all the way to a 4770k if you wanted to. Lots of possibilities for about 90 bucks worth of hardware.

Last edited:

speaking of 6800K being more to cool.. What should it run at? I have the cpu fan and two exhaust fans(makes me feel good). in the case. no load it idles between 5-7 Celsius and under 60% load (3 VM's 2GB Ram both 1 core each... A web browser, Skype and a couple other non sense programs open...) it runs at about 13-15 Celsius
The house is at 23 Celsius but it is always a bit warmer in my room..
Software used---Open Hardware Monitor--- for some reason CoreTemp stays at 33 Celsius no matter what...

So a lil over 3 months into this adventure.

I should have bought a server- I know I said I would not be gaming on this rig much..
and truth I am not.. LOL and Minecraft are two minor games- throw in the Minecraft Server, the 3 Virtual Machines(win 10,Mint,win 8) I am running and the fan noise is enough to make me wish it was a server.

I am thinking the cheap thermal paste that came with the chip needs to be cleaned and then reapplied with a better paste-

that said I notice only when playing the games the cpu temp jumps up to 35 Celsius.. I am wondering if the gpu in the chip is causing it to heat up? gpu is pegged at 99% during this time- So I am debating either a better cooler or video card- in addition to the thermal paste

I did note you said 35 was cold

I got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo it was on the cheap for 20 bucks-

no real big change temps- Hardware Monitor states the max temp has been 48 celsius since the change.. before it was 62 celsius
did not change any of the apps

I also cleaned up the older machine- thermal paste was really dried out-

since applying new thermal paste both machines make very little if any fan noise-

I could have gotten an i5 and used less resources to power and cool the rig(and better performance) - End of the day I am still happy with it being my first rig- I went AMD b/c I had the AMD A6-3650 (Liano) quad core100W in the old machine-(does not make me a fanboy) they are both capable machines and handle the little bit of stuff I throw at them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom