Is this worth upgrading?

krazyq

krazy Techie
hey there,
It's been a really really really long time since I've been on here
Well I have this Gaming Desktop that I built in around 07 and I'm wondering how much it's worth.
Not sure if I should bother upgrading it or just sell it and if so how worth
If upgrading is worth it, I'm thinking just get another gpu and leave the processor, what's a really good gpu at the moment, I spent like $350 on mine last time, not going to make that mistake again, it's worth like $40 bucks online right now.

So I have a q6600 @ stock
8800GTS 512
Corsair 620HX
Ram is generic atm, debating if I should upgrade and get 4 or 8 gigs however DDR2 is crazy expensive now hence debating if it's even worth it.
Wife likes playing tomb raider on it so I would like for it to run smooth.

Thanks

Although the Q6600 is decent still, being stock really will hold back any kind of decent GPU you put in there. If by Tomb Raider you mean the latest one, depending on settings it's kind of a stretch. Again also depending on how much you're willing to spend on upgrading this rig.

Your best bet is probably to get rid of everything except the PSU which is still really good right now. If you wanted to put down some cash on this machine then a GTX660 or 760 are some good cheaper cards that should run Tomb Raider fairly well.

As to the worth of cards, GPUs update every 6 months to a year. They depreciate fast and it's something you have to jump on if you want to sell something for a good price.

yeah i knew that when I was building mine cos right after new stuff came out and also at a better price so that's fine.
I've found some great deals on pre-builds with quad cores, 8gb ram and a tb hdd, all i would have to do is get a gpu and maybe a new case.
Since I got my ps3 I stopped gaming on my pc, I haven't been into gaming that much, just a lot of madden.
Well I'll think of those 2 gpus and more ram, thanks

hey so I never ended up upgrading however now I'm really considering it.
I don't think i'll be upgrading my cpu though because then i really have to start from scratch and get a new cpu,mobo,ram...and I really don't wanna go that route.
So I'm debating between the following cards, 660/750/760/770

Will any of these cards be better than mine?
I'm thinking of maybe playing Watch Dogs, BF-4.
Since my cpu will be limiting the power of these cards, is it worth getting the 760 or will the 750 work just fine?

One of the main reasons I want a new card is to finally able to connect to my tv with an hdmi to hdmi so I'm wondering if the 750 will do.
How much better is the 750 compared to my 880gts 512mb.
Thanks...

The 750ti is miles ahead of any 8800 card. It'll be the least bottlenecked by your setup. The main problem is, BF4 and especially Watch Dogs are real heavy CPU hitters.

Also, since you want to extend this setup I really suggest getting a Q8200+ or Q9550 cheap used.

I don't think I'll be upgrading my cpu, the cost doesn't seem worth it.
I can get the 750ti for $150, but then again I can get this
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...e=UTF8&qid=1403232021&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+660

Will I notice a difference from the 750ti to the 660?
I'm really close to buying this right now.
Even if I do plan on upgrading in the future, I think I will still be fine.
I have a PS3 and and I might even get the PS4 someday
So i think I will be happy with the 660 for a while...i hope...

EDIT

Should I fall for the extra fancy cooler
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-GTX660-D...e=UTF8&qid=1403232021&sr=8-4&keywords=gtx+660

or

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Geforce-...e=UTF8&qid=1403232021&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx+660

You can find the chips I listed for like 20 bucks sometimes. It's worth it in performance if you really want to play those 2 games. Watch Dogs can use up to 90% of my 3960x with only 4 cores and no HT. BF4 can use up to 75%.

Sent from my Z740 using TechForums

Yea a lot but it still won't really be enough. Q6600 is rather aged now for modern gaming. At least a 9550 is closer to first gen i5 performance which is still decent for today's gaming.

Sent from my Z740 using TechForums

Back
Top Bottom