RAM Is Not Detected

I can into space!

Solid State Member
Hello,

As the above title mentions, some of the RAM in my system is not being detected. I have 16GB of Ram installed, while only 8GB is detected by Windows System information and UEFI. I have four 4GB sticks of RAM in the system. The odd thing is, I ran CPU-Z and under the memory tab it shows16GB next to the "size" field.

Thank you!

(Note: I'm new to this forum so I will post my system specs below)

MoBo: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel i5 3570k (Ivy Bridge)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 (4 sticks) [Bought 2 8GB kits]
PSU: Corsair RM750
GPU: EVGA GeForce 660TI

Last edited:
Does the missing ram follow the ram stick or stay in the slot? Move the sticks around to see if they are recognized in other slots to verify the mb doesn't have a bad slot and to verify the memory is good.

If you filled the slots then take two out and test 2 at a time in different slots.

try doing one stick at the time. same happened to me and that's what i did and it fixed it.
take all ram out put one stick and boot check that is detected properly on control panel system
shutdown and put another stick and so on.

Agreed with the above posts.

Also, does BIOS detect all the RAM, or is it only showing 8GB usable as well?

Okay, I spent about 2 1/2 hours just putting the RAM into every possible configuration possible. I put a number label on each stick of RAM, one through four, and here are my conclusions:

1.) All 4 of the sticks of RAM work in every RAM slot on the MoBo individually. That is, you can stick RAM stick 1-4 in each mobo slot, and Windows still loads. If the sticks were not working, my Dr. Debug would give me error code 55 meaning there is no memory (Or it's not detected/not in the slot all the way) and the computer would shut off and restart.

2.) In every single possible configuration the RAM could be in (24 total), only 8GB of RAM was detected.

So I've found out that none of the slots are faulty, and none of the sticks of RAM are either, but I can't for the life of me figure out why all 16 GB are not detected.

To answer an above question, initially I checked both BIOS(Well, UEFI on my MoBo) and Windows 8 PC info, and both showed only 8GB were detected, but when I ran CPU-Z, all 16GB were detected.

When I was switching these sticks of RAM around today I only checked Windows 8 PC info and not BIOS/UEFI, but all the combinations still only displayed 8GB of RAM.

Is anybody as confused as I am?

I haven't updated my BIOS since I've gotten it so the July 2013 Bios update is the newest. The webpage says they wouldn't recommend updating it unless it's absolutely necessary. Should I go ahead and do it anyways?

The file came compressed as a ZIP, so I extracted it to a flash drive. Is that what you're supposed to do, or should I leave it as a ZIP?

Back
Top Bottom