Upgrading graphics card & power supply

Well i was 1 day late, so im gonna get my order only on monday.

I have to uninstall my current video card drivers before i swap my card right? If so how?
Lift the motherboard out and remove the old rear I/O shield (if possible) and put it in the new case.
I was looking at carnageX comment, what is I/O shield and what if i can't remove it?

Well i just tried to do it, but failed. If someone could respond fast that would be great. I had to put my old pc back together..

I have no idea where to put all those power/reset/led things, previous pc had only 1 thing to plug in, in this case theres like 6 of them.

Also there is big ass usb 3.0 wire(looked it up in the manual, i think thats what it is), i don't think i can plug it in anywhere. My pc had 3 usb things that plugged in the motherboard (white/yellow/green)

Another thing is that i don't know where to plug in PSU wires, can i just plug it in anywhere in the PSU?

Also i can't take out my cd/dvd whatever from the old case. PC will still boot up right?

Also just now i noticed that i've been using the blue thing for video from motherboard, and not from video card, when i try to put it in video card slot(on this pc/old card), i get a black screen saying that i should put it in motherboard or w/e because it has some built in thing.
I don't know if that supposed to be like that.

Well for the new PC you won't need to worry about the old PC built in graphics/dedicated situation.

The FP connections (front panel or power, reset, ect) all can be plugged into the motherboard and there is a guide on the board itself as well as the manual. Consult the manual where these go as it's very easy.

Don't worry about the USB3 connector as your old board doesn't have it.

Plug the same type of cables found from your old PSU and use the same types from the new PSU to plug into your components.

Well for the new PC you won't need to worry about the old PC built in graphics/dedicated situation.

The FP connections (front panel or power, reset, ect) all can be plugged into the motherboard and there is a guide on the board itself as well as the manual. Consult the manual where these go as it's very easy.

Don't worry about the USB3 connector as your old board doesn't have it.

Plug the same type of cables found from your old PSU and use the same types from the new PSU to plug into your components.

Thanks for the answer, yea i was just wondering if i can plug in those cables anywhere on PSU (where they fit ofc) thats why i asked.

I dont have motherboard manual or pc manual, do you know where or how could i find out what motherboard i have? I tried to look at it but i can't find the model.

I am looking at this manual right now. So far i couldn't find the model
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-460_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Edit : the new case doesn't have the other usb stuff that the old one had(green/yellow/whatever wires), so im gonna be ok?

Well for right now to get you going all you need to do is try plugging the power button cable in. It won't hurt it to just plug it in randomly anywhere in the FP area (just not anywhere else). When it's plugged in right your PC will turn on when you push the button in.

Back
Top Bottom