First Mini-itx system.

imaduck

Beta member
I'm going to attempt my first mini-itx system and I'd love some advice on where i'm no doubt going wrong. I've read up a lot about the mobo but I'm not sure about chip selection and ventilation for the system.

I didn't read anything about link posting, a quick glance around and everyone seems to link to newegg.
If I'm not meant to link elsewhere then let me know...

Case
Antec ISK 600

Motherboard
Gigabyte-H87N

Chip http:
i7 4790

Slim DVD Drive Bog standard slim DVD

Graphics Card - Using my existing Raedon HD 6850 for now.

PSU - Using my existing 450w

RAM - Using my existing 8GB of RAM

RAID Drive
I'll also be RAIDing two of these.

Any advice is welcome!

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well I should first ask, what's the use of this machine?

First thing I'll say is, for a tad more this is a MUCH better board with native support for the CPU you have selected.
ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC Motherboard (Intel Z97, USB 3.0, Socket 1150): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Next up I'll have to ask what your PSU is.

I'm also assuming you already own the two OCZ drives?

People here link to Newegg because most of our users are located in the US. We link to UK appropriate sites when dealing with overseas users.

Well I should first ask, what's the use of this machine?

First thing I'll say is, for a tad more this is a MUCH better board with native support for the CPU you have selected.
ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC Motherboard (Intel Z97, USB 3.0, Socket 1150): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Next up I'll have to ask what your PSU is.

I'm also assuming you already own the two OCZ drives?

People here link to Newegg because most of our users are located in the US. We link to UK appropriate sites when dealing with overseas users.

Thanks for the swift reply
I was actually deciding between that AS rock and the Giga, I've always used Giga's and just went with what I knew. But If the rock is better I shall go with that. Cheers

It'll be a bit of an all round system, gaming, but nothing strenuous or MM part multimedia part work (photoshop / video editing etc etc) Nothing incredibly strenuous.

Image FSP Group SAGA+ 450P 450W - Powersupply

one of them I think. I got it about 6 years ago so I'm not 100% certain. I ran the spec though a power calculator and got a recommended of 423w. So it's really a case of whether it fits in, which I think it does.

Last edited:
It's better for two reasons. 1 it has native bios support for the CPU you've chosen and has a nice M.2 SSD slot on the rear of the board.

I wouldn't use that PSU. The PSU calculator is wrong and actually is higher than what your actual usage would be but the combo of the 6850 and i7 I would not leave to such an underpower cheap PSU. The actual power consumption would be more about half your PSUs peak wattage which would be the 450w. Although technically will work, I would advise against it and look at having a minimum of 500w in your system.

Back
Top Bottom