Upgrading graphics card & power supply

Vytaftas

Solid State Member
Looking to upgrade my graphics card and power supply.

DELL
Desktop Vostro 460 MT Core i5-2400 PC
Graphics card - 1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5450
Power supply - 350W
Intel Core I5-2400 (3.1GHz, 6MB)

Someone said that this power supply can't even power this card well and also the card is crappy. So i have to run most of the games on lowest settings.
Also this PC is kind of small compared to the other i had before, i don't know if it changes anything just want to let you know.

I want something decent for gaming.
I have ~700$

Is this your PC?

Dell Vostro 460 Details | Dell

Just a standard uATX mini tower.

If you don't want to spend ALL of your cash you can go with this GPU and PSU.
EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2774-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

If you want maximum performance for your cash, use previous PSU and this GPU.
XFX Double Dissipation R9-290X-EDFD Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Edit: On second glance, if you want to use either of those cards you will need to find a way to remove that HDD cage.

Yeah thats my pc.
I don't really care if i spend all of my cash, i just want something good to run games.

Also i have no idea what is and or how to remove hdd cage, would i be able to do it if i don't know what im doing?

The HDD cage would be the piece of metal that holds your HDD. You're limited to a 9.6" long card if you can't take it out or otherwise cut it out if you have to. Other alternative is buy a new case.

I looked at it and it would be easy to remove the hdd cage, but it doesn't have any screws only weird round things that holds it, so i guess i can't remove it.

I don't know if i could put it all together if i got a new case.

I looked at it and it would be easy to remove the hdd cage, but it doesn't have any screws only weird round things that holds it, so i guess i can't remove it.

Those are most likely rivets; you'd have to cut them to remove the cage.

Swapping over to a new case would be extremely easy.

Remove any add-on cards, remove the screws, disconnect all the PSU wires, disconnect the front-panel wires, unplug any fans/other connections (HDD/disc drive/etc). Lift the motherboard out and remove the old rear I/O shield (if possible) and put it in the new case. Then put the board in new case (on top of brass standoffs that line up with the motherboard holes), screw it down, put in new PSU, put in your add-on cards, put in the HDD/optical drive, and reconnect everything like how it was in the old case.

As was said, it's extremely easy to swap over to a new case considering you're already replacing one of the hard parts which is the PSU.

If you really don't want to mod your case to get rid of the cage and remount your HDD the best GPU you can get for the money is this.
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card - Newegg.com

Back
Top Bottom