Disk Overworked

Haru1207

Solid State Member
Hi I just got a PC basically for the first time and have noticed a slight problem with it. When I would use it for a long period of time it would start to slow down, so I looked at the task manager and saw that when this happened the disk was at 100%, and the computer was overheating. So I assumed the problem was the overheating, and bought a fan. This fan worked well, and my computer no longer overheats, however, after being on it for a long time, it slowed down again and the disk was still overworked. My question is basically why is this happening and how can I fix it? Should I get a new hard drive?

Thanks

Open up your Task Manager, select the Performance tab, at the bottom right click on the Resource Monitor. From there you should be able to view your disk and see what [program is accessing it. Your antivirus can do this and Norton has a nasty habit of scanning your drive while your trying to do something else at the same time

I've disabled Norton and I have avast instead. I play games on my computer, and that is typically when it gets overworked. The problem isn't what program is causing the disk to overwork, because I don't think there is any program I've left on my computer that does that, but for some reason when I use it for a while it at some point just becomes really freezy, really slowing down quite considerably. I'm just wondering why it might be overworked only when it has been working for a long time, if the problem isn't being overheated. Most of the time it handles just fine, it's only when I'm playing games for a few hours that it slows down.

8 GB so I don't think that's the problem either. When the disk is overworking the RAM is generally fine. Unless it needs more for some reason to redistribute the pressure on the hard disk?

Well like was said before, we need to know exactly what is causing your disk access issue. Having system specs and the games/programs you are using will help as well.

Sorry haha this is my first PC I don't really know what I'm doing. Trying to pick it up as I go. Ok I just wasn't sure if you needed specific or general ones. Ok I have a Samsung computer, and intel core processor i7-3537U which runs at 2.00-2.50 GHz, 8 GB of RAM, 64-bit operating system, and an intel HD 4000 graphics card. Anything else?

Back
Top Bottom