Where should I start?

dwarfdude77

In Runtime
Hey guys! I am building a new desktop to run a Minecraft Server on. I am a first time computer builder, and need some advice as to what parts would work best for this task. These are the parts that I have picked out:

RAM: MSI Z77 MPOWER Optimized (Yellow LED) DDR3 1600 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel 240-pin (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Module Model AVD3U16000904G-2CM - Newegg.com

Motherboard: BIOSTAR H81MHV3 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646G3220 - Newegg.com

Thanks in advance!

Some folks here run Minecraft servers and I believe you will want at least a cheap quadcore running it. You would have to wait for one of them to verify.

Some folks here run Minecraft servers and I believe you will want at least a cheap quadcore running it. You would have to wait for one of them to verify.

Ok, thanks, ill get those instead. You said that I would "have to wait for one of them to verify" about the quadcore. What do you mean?

I know iFargle here for sure runs a Minecraft server. He or one of the others running servers of their own would be able to tell you if the performance of the Pentium would be fine for hosting. I'm guessing it depends on the mods you want to run and amount of people you want. I've never personally run Minecraft or run a Minecraft server so can't tell you for sure.

I know iFargle here for sure runs a Minecraft server. He or one of the others running servers of their own would be able to tell you if the performance of the Pentium would be fine for hosting. I'm guessing it depends on the mods you want to run and amount of people you want. I've never personally run Minecraft or run a Minecraft server so can't tell you for sure.

I have private messaged iFargle. Do you know how active he is on these forums?

I'm guessing it depends on the mods you want to run and amount of people you want. I've never personally run Minecraft or run a Minecraft server so can't tell you for sure.

This.

I ran a vanilla server for a while, without mods on a P4 Hyperthreaded on 4GB of RAM. It would get a little stuttery once in a while with only about 4 - 6 people on it. Granted that also could have been due to my crappy network/ISP at the time.

This.

I ran a vanilla server for a while, without mods on a P4 Hyperthreaded on 4GB of RAM. It would get a little stuttery once in a while with only about 4 - 6 people on it. Granted that also could have been due to my crappy network/ISP at the time.

My family and I are possibly going to upgrade our internet connection soon, right now we get 4mbps. I would like to be able to host at least 30 players at a time right now. Any suggestions?

P.S.: I will be running a bukkit server

Back
Top Bottom