Gaming Laptops

bpm55

In Runtime
I am about to start a new job that requires a significant amount of travel( up up 90%.) I am extremely excited about the new opportunity, but I won't be around much to use my desktop, so I am looking to buy a "Gaming" laptop.

• Something that isn't overly heavy since I will be lugging it around the continent.
  • Something with decent performance to play games like Diablo 3 and Elder Scrolls(not online.)
  • Decent battery life nothing extreme just maybe more than 4 hours.

I have been looking at MSI, ASUS ROG, Razer Blade and a few others. I am thinking screen size of 14 or 15 with 1080p. The 3k laptops seem like to many pixels on a small screen. And for the most part I will probably carry a mouse and keyboard and try to use the TV in the hotel room if it had HDMI.

If there is something that has been announced that I should wait on let me know. I am okay with waiting.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help.

My brand preference will be MSI. I've owned both an Asus G73jh and MSI GT780DX.... and I prefer the MSI hands down. Mostly because of 1 feature that I haven't seen on other brands really: their "cooler booster" feature, which when you enable it, it will kick the CPU/GPU fan up to 100%, and drastically help cool it down. Otherwise you're relying on the auto-fan, which can be problematic and not work like it should (my Asus never stayed cool enough - I always had to put it on top of a book, and then put a desk fan next to it to blow cool air under the laptop itself...otherwise during games like Skyrim, it would crash and turn off due to the amount of heat it was putting out).

I did notice that particular feature of the MSI laptops. I thought that is may come in handy considering the heat issues I have had in the past.

I did notice that particular feature of the MSI laptops. I thought that is may come in handy considering the heat issues I have had in the past.

It's very handy - I haven't had to prop up my laptop ever while using it. Keeps it down to a nice 50-60*C, depending on the game. I also re-pasted the GPU and CPU, which helped dropped temps as well. For the most part, I've seen MSI's to be very easy to get to the internals (such as CPU/GPU) so they can be removed. Granted this is in a 17" one, so YMMV with a 15" one.

This is the one from MSI that I am thinking about.

GS60_2PE_Ghost_Pro

It is light weight and configurable to a 870M 6GB.

Probably not as easy to work on as the 17, but it is just over 4lbs with battery.

Back
Top Bottom