Motherboard problem?

james_allen

Beta member
Hi, i have been having a problem with my computer for a while now. When i shut down my computer of a night and then turn it back on in the morning the CMOS is always reset. I have bought a new battery but that didnt seem to have any effect.

This isn't even the main problem but something that may be linked to it. When my computer is off and i switch it off at the plug or unplug it completely, when plugged back in it will not turn on straight away (i press the on button on the front and nothing happens) anything from 10 mins to 4 hours later it will randomly come on on its own without me touching it again. I have tried various things like a new power supply, new battery, checked the wires and pins for the switch on the front where it connects to the motherboard

Its recently gotten worse where i dont even need to unplug it for this to happen, if i was to shut down my pc now 99% of the time it will not come back on straight away. I have read a few different forums with people with similar problems but i could never find a solution. One thing i did read was that a capacitor on the motherboard may have blown but upon asking someone about this they said it usually leaks when this happens so is pretty obvious, i have checked my motherboard and cannot see anything wrong.

I can provide any info on my pc upon request, have attached one image of the screen i see every morning

Attachments

• WP_20140605_003.jpg
    WP_20140605_003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 6
Are you disconnecting the power (120 volts) after you turn off your pc? If the COMS battery has been replaced with a brand new battery then I would think your bios has a problem

Hi, i have been having a problem with my computer for a while now. When i shut down my computer of a night and then turn it back on in the morning the CMOS is always reset. I have bought a new battery but that didnt seem to have any effect.

This isn't even the main problem but something that may be linked to it. When my computer is off and i switch it off at the plug or unplug it completely, when plugged back in it will not turn on straight away (i press the on button on the front and nothing happens) anything from 10 mins to 4 hours later it will randomly come on on its own without me touching it again. I have tried various things like a new power supply, new battery, checked the wires and pins for the switch on the front where it connects to the motherboard

Its recently gotten worse where i dont even need to unplug it for this to happen, if i was to shut down my pc now 99% of the time it will not come back on straight away. I have read a few different forums with people with similar problems but i could never find a solution. One thing i did read was that a capacitor on the motherboard may have blown but upon asking someone about this they said it usually leaks when this happens so is pretty obvious, i have checked my motherboard and cannot see anything wrong.

I can provide any info on my pc upon request, have attached one image of the screen i see every morning

Caps won't always leak; check for bulging capacitors (the tops will be rounded instead of flat).

Like Joe said though, it could be a BIOS issue. Have you checked if there's an update to your BIOS?

True....I've never witnessed a cap leak before, but if there's any type of crud on the top and bulged out like carnageX states, it's bad and has leaked at some point

Back
Top Bottom