Hp elitebook 8440p.. Battery issue / processor Question

pat_ai2009

In Runtime
Jus bought this used laptop and it seems the battery runs out pretty quick even under light load.. Question is there anyway I can actually tell if I need a new battery or if it's jus normal.. Don't want to buy another battery if I don't have too.. And would any1 recommend buying one from HP or will a generic one do fine?

Also my processor is Intel i5 m540 2.53ghz.. I want to over clock it too atleast 2.8ish.. I did a little reading and they made it seem there's a setting in bios for a turbo setting that overstocks it.. Can't find that option in bios.. HT is enabled... Multi core is also enabled.. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Most likely a battery issue if it's discharging fast. Usually best to get a first-party brand battery replacement. Can look on eBay to see if you can get it for cheaper on there vs from HP directly.

Usually turbo boost is enabled by default on laptops, and only kicks in when its needed (so it doesn't drain the battery or produce unnecessary heat). If you're on Win8 open the task manager (or something like CPU-Z for Win7) and watch the CPU frequency during a CPU intensive program; it should jump up over what it's stock clocked at. You can also watch it by using the Intel Turboboost Monitor desktop gadget, which will show you the CPU frequency level, and show if it's boosting or not.

Ok yeah I haven't installed cpu z yet but will do... So I can manually over clock the cpu so it's always running at the same speed right? I'm going to buy the extended battery soon so not to worried bout battery life unless I find it becomes a big issue even with the extended battery

The only way to overclock a laptop is with OC software - which is NOT recommended because it is not as stable as an OC from the BIOS. And OEM systems lock their BIOS's, so you cannot change voltages/frequencies. I would just leave it as is and let it manage itself - when it needs a boost, it will boost itself, as that's what it's meant to do.

I see.. Alright sounds like good advice.. Thanks for answering my questions

Jus came to me one more question... Someone told me anything over 4gigs of ram is useless because of the infrastructure of the chipset or mainboard? Which I kno if it doesn't support extra ram then it won't help any but he was making it seem like even if it does support it.. It be still useless.. Which I didn't understand why they would make Windows x64 and x86 then.. Asking cause I want to put another 4gigs for a total of 8 in my laptop

That someone was probably talking about Windows 32bit, as it doesn't support more than 3.5 to 4GB, including VRAM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom