Thinkpad Laptop Help Getting Wireless

schwarzbach

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I have an IBM Thinkpad T43p 2668 laptop, and I have just reinstalled Windows XP and I cannot connect to the internet. When I attempt to go into control panel and set up a connection, I don't get a LAN option or anything else, and when I try to create a network it does not find any device. This same thing happens with a direct wired connection. I open the device manager and there are 10 devices without drivers installed. These drivers names are all listed as "unknown manufacturer" and "other" device types. My Ethernet controller is in there so is the network controller, video controller, USB controller, PCI modem, multimedia audio controller and the biometric scanner and sm bus controller. There are also 2 unknown devices and I don't know what they are. I went to the IBM lenovo website to find the drivers but I don't know which ones I need. I tried installing all of the available wireless network drivers but still nothing. I am completely stuck as to what I should do from here. Any tips or solutions would be helpful.

I forgot to mention that when I run ipconfig it does not show any devices at all but I get the output: C:\documents\settings\usr.

Last edited:
You need to install your drivers from their website:

Lenovo Support - Drivers & Software (US)

Type in "T43p" on the search page then select your 2668 model, and select Windows XP for the OS and download all the listed drivers, then install one at a time.

If you're still having issues or still have unknown devices, then come back and we can get them manually.

Edit:
Since you said you already downloaded all available drivers, and are still having issues, then do the following:

Open up Device Manager

On everything that has a yellow exclamation mark, do the following:
Right click -> Properties -> Details tab

Post the following info for each item that has a yellow exclamation mark:
The "Device Description" under the Property drop down
Under "Hardware Ids", it should have something like VEN_####&DEV#### ; post that section, where #### = some alphanumeric combination.

This way we can look up each component individually and get you the correct drivers.

Under properties I get three tabs, General, Driver, and Resources. Under the driver tab I get the driver details option and when I click it, it says " No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device". As far as a description goes, all I get is the following:
{Driver Provider: Unknown
Driver date: not available
Driver Version: not available
Digital Signer: Not digitally signed}

In the general tab it says ethernet controller
Device type: Other devices
Manufacturer: Unknown
Driver status: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (code 28)
this is the same info for every device, the only change being the available device info under the general tab i.e ethernet controller, pci modem etc.

Last edited:
Since you don't have the Details tab, try this:

Start -> Run -> type: msinfo32.exe -> Expand 'Components' -> highlight 'Problem Devices' -> Post the PNP Device Code for each item listed there that's missing a driver.

I know this is very sloppy but I had to use notepad and put it on a USB flashdrive to get the output without taking all night.

Biometric Coprocessor
USB\VID_0483&PID_2016\5&1227F778&0&2

Network Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27118086&REV_05\4&AD1B67F&0&10F0

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265C&SUBSYS_05661014&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&EF

Ethernet Controller
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_167D&SUBSYS_05771014&REV_11\4&111A1FD8&0&00E0

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3154&SUBSYS_05701014&REV_80\4&266C3FA7&0&0008

Not Available
ACPI\NSC1100\4&3863886D&0

Not Available
ACPI\IBM0068\5&2890D699&0

Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_05671014&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&F2

PCI Modem
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266D&SUBSYS_05741014&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&F3

SM Bus Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266A&SUBSYS_056B1014&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&FB

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_265C&SUBSYS_05661014&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&EF

Well, thank you for the links. I installed the wireless network card driver and I can now connect to different wifi networks but my home network is WPA2 and the network says that it is WEP. When i attempt to connect to my network it says wireless connection unavailable. I dont remember it being this confusing the last time I set this up.

Well, thank you for the links. I installed the wireless network card driver and I can now connect to different wifi networks but my home network is WPA2 and the network says that it is WEP. When i attempt to connect to my network it says wireless connection unavailable. I dont remember it being this confusing the last time I set this up.

Which model is your wifi card?

Back
Top Bottom