780ti not all that great?

Dalinkwent726

Baseband Member
Okay I'm not sure if this is the section where this belongs, if it isn't I'm sorry.

I just recently bought an Asus 780ti DC2O, and I have to say that I'm underwhelmed when it comes to games. Most games I play I have to put the graphics quality below ultra, and dumb down the rest of the settings just to barely reach 60fps. I had a 660ti DC2O and I can't even tell the difference between them TBH, maybe I just got a ****ty card with this 780 and my 660 was a decent one? I don't know.

My question is am I the only one experiencing this or is the 780ti kind of lackluster? I just bought 3 new games yesterday (AC: Black Flag, Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein) and every one of them run like crap unless the settings are medium/high and IMO that shouldn't be the case.

Thanks for any replies, I appreciate it =)

Well few things. What resolution are you playing at? Did you do a clean install of the latest beta drivers? And are you making sure all background tasks are closed?

Both Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein really require more than 3GB of VRAM to completely max out at 1080p. For Wolfenstein reduce shadows to 4k and you should pump out way over 60fps easy.

Watch Dogs you will have to be using the latest beta drivers for best performance and I explain a lot of performance details in this thread.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f15/watch-dogs-270250/index3.html#post2096840

The 780ti is more than 2 660ti cards put together in one chip while also having a lot more memory bandwidth. The problem is the 3 games you're trying to run have their own issues in performance. Also if you're running a resolution above 1080p it makes this issue worse.

Well few things. What resolution are you playing at? Did you do a clean install of the latest beta drivers? And are you making sure all background tasks are closed?

Both Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein really require more than 3GB of VRAM to completely max out at 1080p. For Wolfenstein reduce shadows to 4k and you should pump out way over 60fps easy.

Watch Dogs you will have to be using the latest beta drivers for best performance and I explain a lot of performance details in this thread.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f15/watch-dogs-270250/index3.html#post2096840

The 780ti is more than 2 660ti cards put together in one chip while also having a lot more memory bandwidth. The problem is the 3 games you're trying to run have their own issues in performance. Also if you're running a resolution above 1080p it makes this issue worse.

Okay so I checked out the link you posted, downloaded the newest drivers, actually got around to overclocking my card, and dropped my settings down to high for most and Watch Dogs hasn't stuttered much at all. It crashed once but that's it. Wolfenstein is running smooth as well after a few tweaks and my next project will be Black Flag, so wish me luck on that.

On another note I saw that Watch Dogs PC is getting a patch soon, so maybe I'd be able to get some better performance after that releases.

Thanks for the reply and I'd leave you a thanks but I "have to spread it around" =)

Last edited:
Watch Dogs already had a day 1 patch that you should already be running. The only thing I see future patches fixing is stuttering at night caused by heavy shadows and the shadow flickering. I believe this all to be caused by their updated HBAO tech.

My buddy runs black flag on his 770 max with no issues at 1080. I don't why u would have an issue with a 780ti

My buddy runs black flag on his 770 max with no issues at 1080. I don't why u would have an issue with a 780ti

I haven't tried playing Black Flag since I had the 580. I should probably try it soon on the new card.

I'm pretty sure Black flag was a Vsync problem. I was getting horrible screen tearing so I put on Vsync, then the frames dropped to 30FPS. I've just learned to "deal" with the tearing, though it is making me not want to play the game at all.

I'm pretty sure Black flag was a Vsync problem. I was getting horrible screen tearing so I put on Vsync, then the frames dropped to 30FPS. I've just learned to "deal" with the tearing, though it is making me not want to play the game at all.
Use adaptive Vsync found in the NVCP. Might fix your issues.

Are you talking about this?
Ubisoft Working On PC Patch For Watch Dogs, Offers Advice To Boost Performance - Forbes

I thought this was a patch they were working on that hadn't been released yet.
Day 1 patch was released on day 1. The bigger patch to fix other issues like shadows is coming at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom