290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Haha I know I know!
Maybe what I'll do is buy what I want and keep my 1440p monitor. When there are good enough cards to support 4k no problem I'll buy a 4k monitor (free sync hopefully) and then sell the 290xs to my brother and buy the new gen cards..
I have a 580 now with a 1440p monitor... My current build just gets over 30fps with mid to high settings.. Don't think I can continue like it with all these graphical intense games coming out.

I had a 580 until last month. 1080p on a lot of games was fine but things were definitely getting hairy with newer games.

I wouldn't worry about G-Sync/Adaptive DP Sync until things are set in motion. The newer cards on either side support it, it's just a case of monitor support.

I had a 580 until last month. 1080p on a lot of games was fine but things were definitely getting hairy with newer games.

I wouldn't worry about G-Sync/Adaptive DP Sync until things are set in motion. The newer cards on either side support it, it's just a case of monitor support.

Yup.. So.. keep my 1440p monitor, buy my new build and wait till a monitor comes out with g/free-sync and also wait for new cards that can beast through 4k.

sounds good? :)

Now the big question is, what are you going to add with those cards.

I'll build up a list soon.. If you want to give it a go too.. go right ahead.
All help is greatly appreciated :)

This is what i have so far

Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X Tri-X OC
Phanteks Enthoo Pro case
with a few of these in it SP120-PWM High Performace Edition.. or is there anything better?
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler

another GPU

I'm going to use the ram I have now unless they can't be used with a 1150 motherboard?
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB

This will probably be the SSD I'm going to buy
Samsung Evo 500gb

and iv been looking at this power supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w

CPU

just the motherboard.. need one with two 16x slots

I'll search for the best prices later.. right now im just showing what i want

This is the sound card I already have Asustek Xonar Essence STX

Last edited:
Scrap the cooler and go with something like the H100i instead. That case is made for water cooling and you can do push/pull on an H100i or H105 or even the H110. It eliminates weight on the board and much easier to swap processors or RAM. Not to mention the fact that ALL heat is directly blown outside your case.The quietness of the Noctua is moot since you linked the noisy Corsair fans. The best noise to ratio fans IMO are Scythe Gentle Typhoon. Although if you're in the UK i'm not sure who still sells them over there.

The RAM will be fine.

The CPU you linked is a non-K. Overclocking isn't necessary at all but the option later on won't be there.

For a simple 290x Crossfire setup a 1300w PSU is pretty overkill.

If you want dual 16x you will need to spend a pretty penny on a motherboard that is way overkill. From what I can see this is the only Z97 board that sports a PLX chip for dual 16x.
MSI Z97 XPOWER AC, Intel Z97, Socket 1150, Motherboard - Scan.co.uk

1150 processors just don't have all the PCI-E lanes necessary.

Scrap the cooler and go with something like the H100i instead. That case is made for water cooling and you can do push/pull on an H100i or H105 or even the H110. It eliminates weight on the board and much easier to swap processors or RAM. Not to mention the fact that ALL heat is directly blown outside your case.The quietness of the Noctua is moot since you linked the noisy Corsair fans. The best noise to ratio fans IMO are Scythe Gentle Typhoon. Although if you're in the UK i'm not sure who still sells them over there.

The RAM will be fine.

The CPU you linked is a non-K. Overclocking isn't necessary at all but the option later on won't be there.

For a simple 290x Crossfire setup a 1300w PSU is pretty overkill.

If you want dual 16x you will need to spend a pretty penny on a motherboard that is way overkill. From what I can see this is the only Z97 board that sports a PLX chip for dual 16x.
MSI Z97 XPOWER AC, Intel Z97, Socket 1150, Motherboard - Scan.co.uk

1150 processors just don't have all the PCI-E lanes necessary.

Do i ever have to clean or refill those water coolers? or are they all self contained?
I heard the Noctua is the same or better for cooling vs the H series water cooling?
I can swap the Corsair fans. Some Scythe Gentle Typhoon on ebay.
I'v never overclocked in my life.. although it is always nice to have the option. It'll be about £20 more to get the K version
I have an 850W one at the moment.. This one, Corsair AX850
Sorry for the stupid question but what do you mean by "1150 processors just don't have all the PCI-E lanes necessary"

Last edited:
No. They are all in one for a reason. Slap on and leave alone. I've had my H50 since 2009 with no issues.
Only relevant to what fans you use. Most if not all reviews comparing them are using the 2 stock fans/fan on the H series or other similar AIO water loops. That being said, the case you have can do push/pull on an H110 for some serious cooling. Besides, with only two fans they are about even on the cooling front. You still have all the other pros associated with the H series over the Noctua. Big heatsinks are just kind of dumb these days.

Cool. If you get the H100/H100i/H105 they will be great. The H110 uses 140mm fans if you decide to go that route.

I have a Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) based processor and my testing I have found that I get almost no performance increase from overclocking even on Watch Dogs. In 4 core mode with no HT my CPU usage was about 65-75% and I jumped from 3.3 to 4.4 with maybe a 2-5fps gain. Most games are the same way. It's always nice to have the option though. Especially with you buying a Z board and all.

My friend has 2 290x cards overclocked on an HX850 and I used to run 2 highly overclocked 580s on my own HX850. Both setups taking about 600+ watts from the PSU. The AX850 is more than enough.

Intel Core i CPUs have the PCI-E controller built directly into the CPU for almost 0 latency performance (makes sense right). Mainstream Intel processors from 1156/1155/1150 have 16 PCI-E lanes. So then you can only have 1 16x PCI-E 3.0 card running full blast, or you split that bandwidth for 2 cards. The MSI I linked has what's called a PLX chip that adds additional PCI-E bandwidth so you can have more cards. The rest of the boards don't and bandwidth is shared. Not like it really matters anyways, because 2 8x lanes are more than adequate for cards today.

No. They are all in one for a reason. Slap on and leave alone. I've had my H50 since 2009 with no issues.
Only relevant to what fans you use. Most if not all reviews comparing them are using the 2 stock fans/fan on the H series or other similar AIO water loops. That being said, the case you have can do push/pull on an H110 for some serious cooling. Besides, with only two fans they are about even on the cooling front. You still have all the other pros associated with the H series over the Noctua. Big heatsinks are just kind of dumb these days.

Cool. If you get the H100/H100i/H105 they will be great. The H110 uses 140mm fans if you decide to go that route.

I have a Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) based processor and my testing I have found that I get almost no performance increase from overclocking even on Watch Dogs. In 4 core mode with no HT my CPU usage was about 65-75% and I jumped from 3.3 to 4.4 with maybe a 2-5fps gain. Most games are the same way. It's always nice to have the option though. Especially with you buying a Z board and all.

My friend has 2 290x cards overclocked on an HX850 and I used to run 2 highly overclocked 580s on my own HX850. Both setups taking about 600+ watts from the PSU. The AX850 is more than enough.

Intel Core i CPUs have the PCI-E controller built directly into the CPU for almost 0 latency performance (makes sense right). Mainstream Intel processors from 1156/1155/1150 have 16 PCI-E lanes. So then you can only have 1 16x PCI-E 3.0 card running full blast, or you split that bandwidth for 2 cards. The MSI I linked has what's called a PLX chip that adds additional PCI-E bandwidth so you can have more cards. The rest of the boards don't and bandwidth is shared. Not like it really matters anyways, because 2 8x lanes are more than adequate for cards today.

H110 it is then :)

Still wondering about the fans though.. i really like the look of the corsair ones.
What about this one? SP120-PWM Quiet Edition? If I ever wanted to.. I could buy this in the future, Corsair Link Cooling Kit since those fans have PWM support... plus I can use it with the H110 too.
The H110 has 35dBA.. you said the reviews were with stock fans? What fans would you recommend for the H110?

As for the motherboard.. as long as i can get both cards at 16x and use my sound card I'm fine.
My brother said would the CPU I'm getting support two cards in 16x?

FOr the fans it really just depends on what you want. 35db isn't much. Your 290x are going to sound like hair dryers compared to whatever you put on the rad.

You'll have to buy that MSI then. It's really the only Z97 board I see right now that will do 16x on both cards.
The CPU will support only one card in 16x. The rest of the PCI-E lanes will be provided by a PLX chip which the MSI board has.

FOr the fans it really just depends on what you want. 35db isn't much. Your 290x are going to sound like hair dryers compared to whatever you put on the rad.

You'll have to buy that MSI then. It's really the only Z97 board I see right now that will do 16x on both cards.
The CPU will support only one card in 16x. The rest of the PCI-E lanes will be provided by a PLX chip which the MSI board has.

ahah okay. Guess ill go with the Corsair ones.

So this is the build

Need to buy:
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
x2 Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 290X
Corsair Hydro Series H110
Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell
MSI Z97
Corsair Air Series 120mm PWM Quiet Edition High Static Pressure Fan

Already have:
Corsair AX850
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Xonar Essence STX