Build for a friend

PolishXlion

Baseband Member
Before I start this off I wanted to mention I am in Poland so please don't offer "better" prices because I will not be able to buy it on sale. I would like suggestions like changing for a better part and to double check compatibility.
CPU:Intel I5 4670k
MOBO:MSI Z97 Gaming 7
RAM:Kingston HyperX Fury (1866 MHz)
CPU Cooler:BeQuiet! Dark Rock Advanced
GPU:MSI R9 290
Case:NZXT H440 Red/Black
PSU:Corsair RM 750
SSD:Samsung 840 Evo(120 GB)
HDD:Seagate Bartracuda 1TB
Monitor:Monitor LED Philips (22 inch)

Part Rationale
CPU: Very Popular CPU that will play any game that he wants and is great for multitasking.
MOBO: I decided to go with the newer MOBOs just to give it a shot. It looks good and should perfrom very well. Also I get a free mouse with it :)
Ram: I love the way it looks and it follows the red-ish theme. Also high speed so no need to OC.
CPU Cooler: I have had a PSU from Bequiet! it wasn't the best but it works now, the fans are supposed to be quiet and it has been rated well and I hope this will be a good buy.
GPU: Hardest choice of the build, I love Nvidia becasuse of the driver update software and because they have shadowplay which is useful as a youtuber. I decided to go with this GPU because it has the same price tag as the GTX 770 4 GB edition (Poland). Basically a much more powerful GPU for a very good price.
Case: Spacious and looks good. It fits the theme and is one of the best cases I have seen recently.
PSU: Corsair makes good Power Supplies and this should have enough juice and will kind of fit the build, we might re-paint the letters to red.
SSD: GOod quality and I can get it VERY cheap. Also looks good :)
HDD: Love Seagate, they have great prices here and are SILENT, I can't hear mine.
Monitor: I like LG, has a good price and is cheap.

Only thing I would really change about it is the RAM unless the difference between 1600 and 1866 is tiny. Like, few Euro. Anything over 1600 is wasted unless you use an APU or benchmark with LN2.

Only other argument I might bring up is the motherboard choice. I have been straying people away from MSI's Gaming series lately because of their choice to add in the rather **** Killer NIC. Some people have been having driver issues here with this particular setup.

Next argument I would bring up on that same subject is the ASRock Extreme6 would be a better choice if your friend ever wants to use an M.2 SSD. It utilizes a gen 3 4x slot giving a lot more bandwidth for the faster M.2 based SSDs that will be coming out. For a comparison I'll link on Newegg since I don't know of any Polish sites to link.
Newegg.com - ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I personally feel M.2 is the way to go rather than SATA Express. Less cables, more compact, no need to mount in case, and the tech is here and now and trustworthy. Oh and you get get an M.2 Crucial 480GB SSD here for less than 300 bucks. :lol:

This ram is actaully cheaper that the 1600 MHz ram, so why not? I will check out other MOBO's, I like Gigabte so I will give ita shot. Umm I don't think the guy plans on using such types of SSd's. I will reply in a second!

Gigabyte G.1 Sniper Z97? It looks good! I know I am being a noob and only caring about looks but I want this PC to look Majestic :)

If it isn't for you then don't you think upgradability and performance to cost would be more appropriate?

Why wouldn't he use an M.2? Does he not plan on using this machine for more than a year or so?

The guy isn't a tech geek. This is why I am building it. He is going from a laptop and I want him to have fun gaming. I know he won't install any other forms of SSDs.

Then if that's the case, why even waste the extra money on a Z97 board? Or even a Z87 board? You could get a 4670k and still put it in something like a B85 Pro and the person using the computer would get all the same functionality without the extra cost. There are only a couple reasons to get one of those boards. 1. to overclock. If he isn't going to overclock, no sense in it. 2. Z97 has support for new SATA Express and M.2 SSDs. If he won't upgrade to these, no sense in buying it. 3. SLI. Considering you are ordering an AMD card for him the added availability of SLI is moot.

Another question I can raise is, if he's not a tech geek I doubt seriously he will want a side window to stare at the PC he knows nothing about much like how non car people couldn't care less what an engine looks like. So that being said wasting money for "cool" factor or bling really is pointless.
If you weren't spending the extra cash on a motherboard you could easily get him something more useful like a bigger SSD or a 290x.

I never said an OC will not happen. He might not over clock but I definitely will OC for him. Anyone who buys a PC likes to look through the window :). I wanted to go with an 290x but the price difference is up to 400 dollars. The SSD is for Windows and LOL. He and most plays no other games so what is the point of more space with nothing on it?

I never said an OC will not happen. He might not over clock but I definitely will OC for him. Anyone who buys a PC likes to look through the window :). I wanted to go with an 290x but the price difference is up to 400 dollars. The SSD is for Windows and LOL. He and most plays no other games so what is the point of more space with nothing on it?
Not entirely true. I've had a window on my case since 2003 and that side is actually facing away from me. Idk many people who can actually use their PC and look at both the monitor and in their PC at the same time. Maybe I'm just getting old and I care more about usage rather than looks.

So if you were to OC for him then what's to stop from grabbing an M.2 SSD for him?
What if he decided to play more games since he has a beefy rig? Some games coming out right now are 40 and 50GB in size. What if he wanted to record gameplay and edit these files in a video editor? Idk your friend so everything is just constructive criticism and tossing around ideas.

Back
Top Bottom