XP Support until 2019

To my knowledge it tricks the update server into thinking you're running the POS software but Embedded is actually a totally different OS. Be kinda hard to do flippy floppy with just a reg hack. The security updates should be nothing more than simple back door flaws being updates. Obviously Microsoft would want to naysay since they want these people to upgrade.

The point of the post rather was in mockery though. I can understand holding onto your dear old OS but if you want to do this then pointless security obviously isn't your priority.

Edit: Read any of those comments? These idiots apparently don't work in any real IT field :lol:
Some machines I've worked on still run 95 and OS/2 and were made after XP was made.

Last edited:
Edit: Read any of those comments? These idiots apparently don't work in any real IT field :lol:
Some machines I've worked on still run 95 and OS/2 and were made after XP was made.

Only reason I can see holding onto XP is if you're a company that's running software that has no alternative.

Case in point: the last IT job I worked at (as a student employee mind you, but still had a ****-ton of responsibility), I worked on manufacturing computer systems. Systems that ran PCB-makers, component pickers/placers, solder/flow machines, steel punch/routers, etc. Stuff that if it broke, I had to drop what I was doing and go fix it since it was costing the company big bucks every hour it was down. Just about all of those machines ran legacy OS's. OS/2 Warp, DOS 4 (not even DOS 6, had to be a German version of DOS 4 lol), XP, and a few with Win7 (mostly only the "monitoring" systems). Virtualizing systems there isn't possible since these have to interface directly with hardware, and newer drivers/interfaces don't exist for modern OS's.

That DOS4 system was a PITA... especially since it had to be on the network, and in order for that to happen, it first had to boot off of a Linux network-boot image stored on a floppy that mapped network drives to the system.

In other words, the same exact machines I've worked on ;) I'm actually a trainee SMT or apprentice or whatever. **** is easy.

Most likely yeah lol. The SMT machines usually behaved and didn't have to touch them. Only time I had to do anything with 'em was to put Ghost client on them so they could be periodically backed up over the network.

THe machines running these machines either had an old celery or Pentium 1. I was in nostalgic heaven and my friend was like you're nuts dude. The hardest bit of work I had to do was move a 2 ton machine with an 8ft 4x4. My back still hurts from this.

THe machines running these machines either had an old celery or Pentium 1. I was in nostalgic heaven and my friend was like you're nuts dude. The hardest bit of work I had to do was move a 2 ton machine with an 8ft 4x4. My back still hurts from this.

I didn't have to do any of the physical stuff for that fortunately :p. There were manufacturing maintenance guys for that stuff, haha.

Heaviest thing I had to haul was a 60lbs Zebra Printer from one building to another, because I forgot our push-cart, and I didn't have time to go back and get the cart, then go back for the printer because I had to leave work and head to class lol. So I just carried it across the parking lot and went up the elevator. And I'm not a big guy, so carrying this thing that far for me was...interesting lol. Couple of my co-workers just looked at me and one was like "you CARRIED that thing over here?" I was just like "yup...now I gotta go to class...see ya" lol. Arms were quite tired after that.

I have had a few production machines that were controlled by a computer running Windows NT 4.0, and the machine (which costs over $120,000) could not be controlled by newer software because... well... the company that made the SOFTWARE part for it, no longer exists. The hardware is still maintained, but the machine is obsolete (20 years old), but would cost almost $200k to replace in today's dollars.

Since the maintained production machine (cutting metal plates into pre-designed pieces) will be just fine for another 20 years (it just needs grease to operate, and a computer with a COM port and Windows NT 4.0), we have an old machine on both machines (we had 2 of them) running Windows NT 4.0. When I left the company, they were Pentium III computers with 512 MB of RAM.

The LAN ports those computers are connected to, where configured to be in their own VLAN, with a firewall allowing them to have access to ONE folder on a network server only, no internet access at all. That one folder was needed so the engineers could place the designs. (the file structure for the designs is still used to this day, so the new software used by engineers designing the stuff on their big fancy 30" screen flat panel quad core beasts, could still be used by the machine running the Windows NT 4.0 software.)

This all said.... if you do have software that can't be upgraded, there are ways around it, as long as you take the proper security precautions.

I would, however, NOT recommend this procedure for regular, internet accessible machines used for every day computing.

To my knowledge it tricks the update server into thinking you're running the POS software but Embedded is actually a totally different OS. Be kinda hard to do flippy floppy with just a reg hack. The security updates should be nothing more than simple back door flaws being updates. Obviously Microsoft would want to naysay since they want these people to upgrade.

The point of the post rather was in mockery though. I can understand holding onto your dear old OS but if you want to do this then pointless security obviously isn't your priority.

I read somewhere that it tricks the XP OS into thinking its windows 2003, which is the same kernal as XP, so it takes the windows 2003 updates and applies them to XP.
correct me if I'm wrong

Back
Top Bottom