New Build Help

mtylerb

Beta member
Hey folks,

It's been a very long while since I built myself a computer. Last computer I built had a AMD Athlon XP in it. Anyway, my mom asked me to build a new computer for them and I received the parts today, but when I assembled it and hit the power button, it powers up for about 3 seconds, then shuts off for about 3 seconds then keeps the cycle going until I hit the I/O button on the back of the PSU. No POST, nothing.

Gigabyte GZ-ZA Series ATX mid-case.
Gigabyte GA-H81-D3 Motherboard
Intel Pentium G3240 CPU
Dual Channel Team Elite+ RAM TPD316G1333HC9DC01
MSI R7 240 ATI Graphics Card
Rosewill Capstone 450W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA HDD
Pioneer Blu-Ray BDR-209DBK

I have removed the graphics cards and tested the PSU with the "paperclip test". The PSU turned on and ran the fan with no issue. No difference with the graphics card removed. I doubled checked all the front button and light connections. Am I missing something?

I tried as you suggested. First with two sticks (doesn't dual channel require both?) and then with only a single stick. No hard drive and it was removed and sitting on the box it originally came in. Did the exact same thing. Cycled for 3 seconds on then off then repeat.

PS, I appreciate the quick reply.

Dual channel does require 2 sticks but for the sake of troubleshooting trying one stick at a time is always best. Double check to make sure the heatsinks is on the CPU properly and if you have another stick of RAM you can confirm working try that.

I unfortunately don't have more RAM to try. A little frustrating. I will see if I can find some to install. I've triple checked the seating of the CPU and heatsink to ensure proper seating.

What is the likelihood of faulty RAM causing no POST errors? What is the likelihood of this being a DOA motherboard?

Appreciate the help so far.

Tyler

Likelihood is high which is why I asked to use a different set of RAM. Looking more like motherboard to me though.

What about the PC you're using now? Any desktop DDR3 will work.

Unfortunately the only desktop I have is an old one running an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo which uses DDR, not DDR3. This build is for my dad as a gift for Father's day from my mom.

I'm tempted to just RMA the board and get a new one.

I overnighted a new motherboard and installed it yesterday. After plugging everything in, it booted up without issue.

Put a Gigabyte Z97-HD3 in, since it was local.

Back
Top Bottom