I need advice concerning my PSU weirdness

BadDisciple

Baseband Member
Hail folks,

I just built a new PC with all new parts, except the PSU. The PSU is a good one from an older PC but left for few years aside (not being used at all). It's a "Blue Storm" brand, 450W (peak 500W), with PFC, +70%, super quiet (<23dB). It works fine in my new machine but... just for not more than an hour, then it... shuts the system down! When I take off the power cable and swithc it off and on (it has such a switch) and connect back the power cable from the back side, it restarts, but again soon it shuts down. Also, when it will come to shut down it makes more noise - obviously its fan. Is that because my other components demand more power? My Graphic card is a Radeon R7 260X and I made calculations on the Web and they give me +/-365W for the whole, while the PSU provides 450W (peak 500W) - so sounds ok to me but...

Does anyone have an idea what's the trick behind that?
Should I buy a new PSU?

Thanks in advance.
BD

Last edited:
Power supplies deteriorate with age, You should not use an older PSU on a newer system. Get a better quality new power supply...it is the heart of your system

What's your system specs?

Also, the PSU you're referring to is a budget oriented FSP based unit. It's a pretty crap device and I'd be willing to bet peak wattage is actually 450w and depending on what your actual usage is (calculators are usually always only ballpark) you could be using more than 75% of its potential causing your shut down.

Hi, and thanks for replying.
In fact I went today to my computer store and the PC guru checked the PCU fan (!).
For some reason, when I installed it, I repositioned it twice in place and this might have provoked not a good cooling, so, shutting down due to overheating. The PC guru opened it to put some of that 'thermal interface material' and suggested that I test it tomorrow and see if it still shuts down. I'll come back with the news.

I agree with the others that's not a very good PSU, only slightly better than the Bestec brand. PSU's can lose 2%-10% of their max output per year (of use) depending on the quality of the unit. As a generalized statement as far as PSUs go heavier is better, generally. It certainly could also be the fact your CPU fan wasn't right and you were over heating. Generally the 'interface material' is referred to as thermal paste, or thermal compound.

I used to think the heavier the better....Until I read this:

attachment.php

Hantol PSU: Fake PFC Made of Cement | Hardware Secrets.

Attachments

• cement.jpg
    cement.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom