Random Shutoff

Slacker

Slacking Guru
Acer Aspire 5733
Laptop
4gb ram
500GB HDD

This came to me as a used machine. It had windows 7 ultimate on it but it was not a valid copy. I installed win 7 HP with a valid key. I have checked the drivers and all are current. I am running CoreTemps and the CPU temps are ok.

Yet for some unknown reason the machine will shutdown.

I checked event log and have not found any errors and I have also run MWB to confirm no virus.

Anybody have suggestion of what to check next?

Acer Aspire 5733
Laptop
4gb ram
500GB HDD
Yet for some unknown reason the machine will shutdown.

'What do you mean by unknown shutdown ?
While you were on the laptop were you pressing on it in anyway ?
Have you check the cord to make sure its in all the way ?
Does the battery have a charge if any, since this a used laptop ?

If all these you answered yes, power on the laptop, put your hand near the gpu fan.
If it starts out cold during post up to windows start up and gets warm/hot.
It might be that the gpu is over heating, if you notice it shut down after getting warm.
You'll need to find way to keep the laptop gpu cool.

'What do you mean by unknown shutdown ? I don't know why it is shutting off. and I am not telling it to shut off
While you were on the laptop were you pressing on it in anyway ? No everything is setup wirless and have a second monitor connected. Laptop sits on a fan.
Have you check the cord to make sure its in all the way? will double check tonight
Does the battery have a charge if any, since this a used laptop? Still works great. Spec
sheet says it hold s 3 hour charge and I get about half of that on high performance energy plan.

As for the gpu it is an i3 370m integrated chip. When I ran core temps it is operating
in normal range. I opened every program I could and about 20 tabs in FF while watching the temps. None of that caused it to overheat or shut off

[SIZE=+2]Acer 5733 Spec Sheet[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2] [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited:
It might be that the gpu is over heating, if you notice it shut down after getting warm.
You'll need to find way to keep the laptop gpu cool.

Adding onto this:

Usually in laptops, the GPU/CPU share the heatpipes/fan, which can make cooling a nightmare for laptops. Usually only on gaming laptops are they separate - even then they sometimes share the heatsink (my MSI does).

Usually if a laptop shuts down from heat, you won't be able to turn it back on right away. If this is the case - then it's definitely heat related. Otherwise, it may be something else hardware related.

Does it do it randomly, or can you get it to consistently shutdown when doing something in particular? To test if it's hardware related, boot off of an Ubuntu LiveCD and see if you can get it to shutdown through a life environment.

Adding onto this:
Does it do it randomly, or can you get it to consistently shutdown when doing something in particular? To test if it's hardware related, boot off of an Ubuntu LiveCD and see if you can get it to shutdown through a life environment.

Follow through with what carnage said, if it still does this and I know it will.
Visit here first:
Aspire 5733Z overheating - Acer Community
Scroll down to find the answer, if that indeed is a fan problem check here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSf6ALBUV4

If you don't feel like doing this, find a reliable computer shop to do this.

Good luck and let us know what happens later.

Update-
Mods please close

After some fiddling around with linux live I realized it was a windows based problem.
I am guessing it was a driver issue, The bios was outdated after updating windows would no longer boot I attempted to repair the issue, f/mbr and chkdsk and reload the drivers. No change.

I reinstalled and has been on solid for over a week without a shut down... No victory dance but I will take a win when I get it!

Not sure if this is the same issue. Last post I had to reinstall the OS and the issue went away. Recently I have noticed I am unable to run a MWB scan. I start the scan and it begins to process and then BAM! shuts off. So I fired it up in safe mode and the scan runs fine, but does not detect anything?

What do you have for an AV?

If it runs fine in Safe Mode, then it's either a driver or software/service that's conflicting with how MBAM runs.

Back
Top Bottom