I am burdened with a unique problem

Gonna need some clarity on that. You're saying there's a power pack I could buy to run the monitors separately? Wouldn't it still have to plug into the wall though?

A UPS is an Uninterrupted Power Supply, i.e. a battery backup.

If you get a good UPS, they also have power filters in them, which would give your components "clean" power rather than "dirty" power (power that's distorted from interference). Yes, it would still plug into your wall, but it will try and clean up the power it receives from your outlets before delivering it to your components.

Gonna need some clarity on that. You're saying there's a power pack I could buy to run the monitors separately? Wouldn't it still have to plug into the wall though?

A UPS is an Uninterrupted Power Supply, i.e. a battery backup.

If you get a good UPS, they also have power filters in them, which would give your components "clean" power rather than "dirty" power (power that's distorted from interference). Yes, it would still plug into your wall, but it will try and clean up the power it receives from your outlets before delivering it to your components.
This. You could also get a cheap one and the battery should last long enough to boot your PC and see if your power is really an issue. That way there it's not much out of pocket and you can return it. On the LCD of course, because the CRT's are power monsters.

This. You could also get a cheap one and the battery should last long enough to boot your PC and see if your power is really an issue. That way there it's not much out of pocket and you can return it. On the LCD of course, because the CRT's are power monsters.

So how much online time could I get out of a good UPS? Like 2 or 3 hours?

It really depends on which one you purchase and how much juice your LCD panel sucks. I would just buy a cheap one that you can test with and return. If the monitor works fine with clean power then I would video your test results and contact an electrician or whoever to get your power sorted.

And to clarify, I'm suggesting getting a UPS to run your lowest power draining LCD monitor on battery power only to test and see if it's power causing issues.

It really depends on which one you purchase and how much juice your LCD panel sucks. I would just buy a cheap one that you can test with and return. If the monitor works fine with clean power then I would video your test results and contact an electrician or whoever to get your power sorted.

And to clarify, I'm suggesting getting a UPS to run your lowest power draining LCD monitor on battery power only to test and see if it's power causing issues.

Is there any device I could buy that would run on normal power, but would filter the electricity first before it enters my apartment? Thus turning it into the aforementioned clean power? That way I could use it for my PC's, and tv's? I've already had the building electricians out here and they've said nothing is wrong in our apartment with the wiring or downstairs with the circuit breaker. Could this possibly be an external issue outside of our building? Like area related?

We have construction on a new rec center happening across the street from the building that sits on the left side of our apartment building.

Last edited:
Is there any device I could buy that would run on normal power, but would filter the electricity first before it enters my apartment? Thus turning it into the aforementioned clean power? That way I could use it for my PC's, and tv's? I've already had the building electricians out here and they've said nothing is wrong in our apartment with the wiring or downstairs with the circuit breaker. Could this possibly be an external issue outside of our building? Like area related?

We have construction on a new rec center happening across the street from the building that sits on the left side of our apartment building.

Doing what PP would either confirm or deny the suspicion that it's caused by dirty power. Buy a cheap UPS, charge it up via your outlets, unplug it, plug your devices into it, and run them off of the batteries. If you still get the warping/distortion, then you know it's a power issue. If it is a power issue, then you can try getting a higher-end UPS with a good power filter in it to see if it cleans up the incoming power.

Not to my knowledge, but you were saying previously your voltage was a bit high when they came last? Deviance from 110 could cause issues up or down. The UPS is just a quick test to see if power would be an issue. Not saying to drop hard cash on a solution because we don't know what issue is yet exactly. But running your lowest wattage monitor on a battery to see if the issue is resolved or not would take care of that. If the monitor runs fine on the battery then it would be your power. If the monitor doesn't run fine it would be another issue. When done testing pack it back in the box and return it.

Do any of your neighbors have the same issue?

Doing what PP would either confirm or deny the suspicion that it's caused by dirty power. Buy a cheap UPS, charge it up via your outlets, unplug it, plug your devices into it, and run them off of the batteries. If you still get the warping/distortion, then you know it's a power issue. If it is a power issue, then you can try getting a higher-end UPS with a good power filter in it to see if it cleans up the incoming power.

If it's power then he can prove the over voltage is damaging his electronics and demand it be fixed by an electrician or the apartments.

Ok, well thanks for at least some new ideas lol. Everyone else I've talked to has given me the usual answer. i.e. check your equipment, blah blah. Like I haven't done that at least 30 times already.:neutral:

Back
Top Bottom