Computer Buying Questions

i3 = dual core

The number after the "i" doesn't have to do with the amount of cores - it's just the "line" of the chip. Then the first number in the model is the generation (e.g. i5-4440 is a 4th generation i5).

Thanks for clarifying. I'm assuming 4th generation is the latest generation for i5?

May I ask why would you pick the Asus board over MSI? The MSI board has higher review rating score on new egg.
THe MSI board he linked is a different socket and will not work. Also, don't pay attention to egg ratings. Most cheaper components are negatively rated mostly due to stupidity from people not knowing what they are doing.

THe MSI board he linked is a different socket and will not work. Also, don't pay attention to egg ratings. Most cheaper components are negatively rated mostly due to stupidity from people not knowing what they are doing.

Are you saying the MSI is not compatible with the i5 chip in the list?

I'm assuming you mean the MSI linked by Mike. Is that correct, this board?
Newegg.com - MSI CSM-B75MA-P45 LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

If so, then the i5 4440 that I linked is not compatible with an 1155 socket. You need an 1150 board for an 1150 CPU like I linked.

Yes, I was asking about the board in Mike's link.

So the number has to match in order for CPU and board to work. I learned something new today. Thanks.

The CPU you picked is 4th generation while the one is 3rd generation i5 linked by Mike. I'm assuming 4th gen is better than 3rd gen. Hence you recommended to me?

Uh, yes obviously :lol: In this case it's better not only in CPU but the platform has more upgradeability. For instance, you could go higher up in CPU like to a 4770k or you can go up in motherboard later and get a Z87 or Z97. Newer platform.

Back
Top Bottom