need help upgrading computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyfrickster

Solid State Member
Hey guys i am a noob to this whole computer hardware upgrading stuff but here are the specs on my comp

VPR Matrix 2020 (best buy brand)
Intel Pentium 4 Processor
512mb of Ram
100gb hdd
Lite on dvd rom
lite on cd-writer 32x

ok heres the deal i download a bunch of shit, and i know that i need a larger hdd, but......... what can i do to my computer to upgrade it to make it run faster and perform better without having to buy another computer. sorry for asking noobish questions, thanks in advance

oh and i also need a high speed usb card, and a dvd burner, can you guys please point me in the right direction of the products that i would need to buy, and what is the best deal for these things, thank you

It depends on what you're using the computer for, usually getting more RAM makes your computer faster. If its for playing games, getting a better graphics card will help. Buying a new processor compatible with your motherboard would also speed things up.

There is no high speed USB card, all USB controllers are the same speed. USB 2, is very high speed, if that's what you're talking about. Anyways, any type of USB controller card will work, they're reletively simple products and buying them from any company won't really show any difference in speed, performance, or reliability.

Not sure about the DVD burners, but I always buy my computer stuff from www.newegg.com they have really good prices and selection.

well i play jedi academy and counter strike, that is about it but i play lots music on my computer, i download lots of music. and i watch dvds on my computer, and i want the dvd burner so i can backup my dvd's. and well what i figured out is that i bought a brand new dell dj jukebox 20gb mp3 player, and when i plug the usb cable into my comp, a little warning comes up stating that a high usb cable was plugged into a non high usb port and that it won't work as good, or work porperly, because it won't transfer the music fast.

well i found my dvd burner lol,THIS is a great price i think

Check your cache. It plays an important role in speeding up your system. Also a bigger RAM will be helpful.

Well first of all we need more information about your computer.... What type of P4 and the socket, along with what type of mobo you have. Another thing is how can you use 100GB! I guess it depends on what you use it for, but wow.

With those questions answered i can help you. Lets just hope you dont have an Integrated computer.

a P4 with 512mb ram should be a pretty fast machine if youre not hardcore gaming ... if you are noticing performance issues, then maybe its not hardware at all.. it could be in your software. Do disk cleanup, Defragment your HDD, stop applications from running in the background with windows, and use Spybot S&D to kill spyware and adware. (To stop apps from running with windows, go to the "Run" command from the "Start" button and type "msconfig", then go to the Startup tab and uncheck everything that you dont absolutely need.)

Another thing is how can you use 100GB! I guess it depends on what you use it for, but wow.
what do you mean by that? is it to small? too big? how do i find my p4 and socket? and also how do i check my cache?

and another thing, i have a pentium 4, and i want to buy a new case for it, here are 4 computer cases, can you plese tlel me if my motherboard and stuff would be compatible with this case.

Case #1
Case #2
Case #3l
Case #4

well there they are. thanks in advance

Well i would ignore most of these people here trying to help you. They have absolutely no information about your computer. Saying P4 tells us the brand not what type of processor.

What type of Windows do you run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom