PC freezes during some games fine in others

DigitalFidelity

Beta member
I recently built a new system and I'm starting to question the knowledge I thought I had. Everything works just fine during normal use and in most games but some it seems to not like very much. I bought all of the components and built the system and then I added another 8GB of RAM and a second GTX 770 a couple weeks later. I tried updating the drivers and all that and everything works fine except in WildStar, Dream, and Daylight.

When I first installed the card I enabled SLI of course and was playing Diablo 3 and Skyrim with RealVision ENB just fine but then when WildStar went into open beta on the 8th I started playing that and after about 2 hours maybe I would get like a pink grid of squares and the game would shut down and it said it was a driver issue but this happens every single time I play the game now after about 15 minutes. When Dream crashes it just freezes and stays until I manually reset the system, and Daylight barely even opens before crashing.

Both cards work fine by themselves when I take the other card out but I only see problems when I enable SLI and now I'm having problems in Skyrim as well. I have no idea what else to try, I already got one of the cards back from RMA. Any help on what else to try before I do a fresh install of Windows would be greatly appreciated.

Full system specs:
CPU: i7-4770k @4.6GHz
Cooler: Corsair H105
MoBo: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) G Skill Trident X @ 2400MHz
GPU: 2x MSI GTX 770 TF OC Gaming Edition
PSU: Corsair RM850
SSD: Samsung 500GB Evo

All of the fans are Cougar and the highest I've seen the CPU get is around 65C I think, so I don't think it's heat... The SLI bridge was a little tough to get on because of the little plastic shroud on the MSI cards so that could possibly be damaged but I don't know if that problem would look like this.

Edit: My monitor is 144Hz... I don't know if that matters at all though since I'm not getting any screen tearing

Last edited:
DIsable SLI for those games until SLI support is added. Daylight is UE4 so I would be willing to bet it would be a while until SLI support is added to drivers. I run Daylight absolutely maxed out with ridiculous frames @ 1440p so a single 770 is more than plenty. Can't really comment specifically on the other games, but I'd be willing to be disabling SLI for those games fixes your issue.

DIsable SLI for those games until SLI support is added. Daylight is UE4 so I would be willing to bet it would be a while until SLI support is added to drivers. I run Daylight absolutely maxed out with ridiculous frames @ 1440p so a single 770 is more than plenty. Can't really comment specifically on the other games, but I'd be willing to be disabling SLI for those games fixes your issue.

I forgot to add that somehow SLI was disabled and I enabled it again when I was having problems with WildStar. That game is still in beta so it could have problems but nobody else online was having the same problem. Daylight has an option when you launch to disable SLI support so I think they do have SLI support although if they have an option to disable it I'm assuming it might be having issues or something. I don't know why Skyrim would suddenly start having problems but it is heavily modded so something there could be an issue I guess. Thank you for your reply

Even using the max compatibility STEP setup on Skyrim my old SLI 580 machine would sometimes crash here and there.

To the disable SLI in Daylight, it's essentially asking you to disable SLI. The engine is brand new and there is no official support for multi-GPU yet on it. With a single 4GB 680 (same thing as 770) I have 0 issues playing Daylight. I can't even run most recording or FPS software because of it too.

Back
Top Bottom