Best Branded Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive got some el cheapo stuff i pulled out of a gateway system, 2*256 pc2700, it is stock 166 and ive pushed it all the way to 220 completely stable on memtest for 4 hours(im too impatient to test for days :D), this RAM is godly i didnt even change the timings from stock to get to 220, and it runs fully stable... so i guess its all luck of the draw, this stuff coulda crapped out at 196 but it keeps trucking along...

well I got my PC2700 up to 200 and it could run memtest no prob, but it still wasn't stable when I was in the OS. It's mostly attributed to having two different brands of different speeded RAM sticks though :p

LOL DDR550 the whole way ;)

but really, the brand is irrelevant because its the IC's (integrated Circuits) that make the ram good or bad. The brand is just the company that sticks the IC's on to their own pcb. if you like a company, thats great, but it doesnt help in the performance department. for example, kingston used to make their value ram with the Winbond BH-5 IC's, which are very very good, and sought after by overclockers everywhere. a set of kingston value ram (PC3200) with these chips, and a proper heat spreader, could be overclocked further than a new set of corsair XMS (PC3200) because the IC's are much better quality than the ones in the new corsair XMS (normally Hynix).

Definetly OCZ for me, I'm running there "older" kit b4 they came out with REV.2 stuff, and lovinng it. My mobo is actually holding me back from pushing 250+fsb. Hopefully be able to get there REV.2 sticks for my next upgrade...

I recently built my new system and used Corsair XMS and its running really well, although I havnt exactly pushed the system to its limits yet. I've heard good things about OCZ aswell so hopefully that can narrow it down a bit for you.

Retro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom