Upgrading Fan, Quick Question

Nick30075

Solid State Member
Hello;
I bought an AMD cpu a while back and am just now starting to look into acquiring an aftermarket fan for it. I was looking at a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; my concern is that it won't fit in my case (Corsair Carbide 200R).

The case is supposed to mount fans of up to 160mm and the 212 Evo is 159 mm. But is that including the space taken up by things like the motherboard? Additionally, it appears to hang off the side of the mobo. Would this indicate that it is mounted to the side of the case or does it just hang there, clamped on one side?

Sorry for the (likely) dumb questions, I'm still uncertain as to what I'm doing when it comes to hardware upgrades.

Well to answer a question with a question I have to ask what CPU are you trying to cool and why?

To simply answer your question it will fit. The heatsink mounts to the board and the 120mm fan that is included goes on the heatsink. The clearance rating is for heatsink height.

I'm trying to cool a FX8320 because the stock fan seems like it's going bad, it's running really noisy and I'm getting random temperature spikes.

Have you ever thought of just taking the stock fan off and ghetto mounting a better 120mm fan? Another user here did with good results. It also helps to repaste with decent paste.

To answer your original question, product specs say that the EVO 212 fan is 158mm in total height (with conducting rods and the whole bit). The 200r case (Which I have and love) is 210mm wide. Unless your CPU fan mount is roughly 50mm or more from the case wall, I don't think you'd have a problem.

Then again, I dropped out of Geometry class, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :tongue:
---
Carbide Series® 200R Compact ATX Case
(under 'TECH SPECS' tab. Also, the website says the case can fit coolers up to 165mm, which means the evo 212 would fit nicely.)

Hyper 212 EVO - Cooler Master
(Illustrations at bottom of page)
--
Edit 1:
Also, you can mount the 212 in either the 'horizontal' or 'vertical' orientations, which could be important if you have taller RAM modules. The taller cards could make contact with the bottom few fins of the heat spreader, preventing it from mounting right. If that's an issue, you can rotate the entire cooler 90 degrees relative to the mobo to move the fins out of the way of the ram card(s).

Last edited:
If you do decide to go with the Hyper 212 Evo, I can say with 100% certainty that it fits in a Corsair Carbide 200r, as I am using it right now. However, you will not have room for a side mounted fan, so if you want to do that with a 120mm fan you can do what I did and put the fan on the outside of the case, then take off the 3 pin connector, run the wires through a 140mm hole and put it back together and plug it in inside of the case.

Back
Top Bottom