new PSU opinions wanted

Reseated ram, cleared Cmos via battery take out, don't know what else to do. My MOBO must have fried or the on/off switch is busted on the case. Dr Debug ( an Asrock mobo feature) = the LED by the Cmos does not even light up. So, I guess I will order a new MOBO and new arctic silver compound for reseating the CPU on the new MOBO. Really irritating!!! Maybe will get a new case that will fit the 290 in easier as well just in case the problem is the case switch.

Update: OK I got Dr Debug to work by clearing cmos again via jumpers. I got code 60 , then code 56. Code 60 = fix= clear cmos= HUH?? I just did that. 56 is a CPU code- which is one of the things I originally thought about - i unseated the CPU when putting in the new GPU. So, will find some silver compound locally and try reseating the CPU as next step. I will also put a Dremel tool to use to make it easy to put the GPU in - if I ever get that far.

Last edited:
SO far so good. shut down and installed new GPU- very tight - had to slightly bend hard drive cage to fit it. Reconnect PCI e power and hit the power. The fans and LED's started to come on, but dimmed immediately and flickered/pulsed and then nothing. Hmm..... What the HELL!! - OK so was installed a new PSU anyhow - , so took out the GPU,

Look at what I highlighted closely, this is why your computer isn't starting up and pretty much jacked up.
Do what mguire suggested, untighten your new gpu put the screw in and screw it down where it is snug.
It should not move but be firm enough to where it will stay in pci-e x16 slot.
Reapplying the cpu grease shouldn't be necessary just leave the cpu in the socket with heatsink on.

I'm not gonna lie here but if you tighten on that vga to much you may have cracked the mobo.

Watch what your doing when reinserting computer components.

Last edited:
ok no have not tried the old GPU- but have Intel on board video so it should post without any GPU in it. Worth a try - so will attempt .

Mike - i am confused by part of your post regarding the screw on the GPU. There is no screw holding any of the GPU's I have ever installed onto any MOBO - they are held in place by the PCI-E fitting and the plastic clamps on the back of the case. Did you mean CPU? and the screws holding the aftermarket cooler in place? If yes- unscrewing the cooler and checking to see if the CPU is still ok is a good idea before breaking the seal and having to reapply compound .

Look at what I highlighted closely, this is why your computer isn't starting up and pretty much jacked up.
Do what mguire suggested, untighten your new gpu put the screw in and screw it down where it is snug.
It should not move but be firm enough to where it will stay in pci-e x16 slot.
Reapplying the cpu grease shouldn't be necessary just leave the cpu in the socket with heatsink on.

I'm not gonna lie here but if you tighten on that vga to much you may have cracked the mobo.

Watch what your doing when reinserting computer components.

By "tight" I assumed OP meant it was just a tight fit in the case, i.e. the case has little room to fit the GPU (hence the reason he said he had to bend the HDD cage), not because it was "tight fitting in the slot".

ok no have not tried the old GPU- but have Intel on board video so it should post without any GPU in it. Worth a try - so will attempt .

Mike - i am confused by part of your post regarding the screw on the GPU. There is no screw holding any of the GPU's I have ever installed onto any MOBO -

Did you mean CPU? and the screws holding the aftermarket cooler in place? If yes- unscrewing the cooler and checking to see if the CPU is still ok is a good idea before breaking the seal and having to reapply compound .

No.

ok - retried old gpu= no go. Reset cmos again, left the battery out for 5 minutes, This time with no gpu- it booted =YES!!! Tried 3 different gpus' all failed. So then i had read about vuctu or something like that failing - so a deleted that software - and yippy - now the MOBO sees the GPU correctly. Now have new 290 in with catalyst suite and 14.1 driver all installed and working. However, have retried booting and still hangs up on and off until i unplug the power supply and wait a minute, then plug it back in and push the power button- sometimes takes a few tries and then it works . So, mobo is having difficulty booting- it was before as well - so that was why i purchased a new PSU to begin with ( btu i had forgotten about it ) - now it is pretty apparent it is not a PSU problem at all - but a mobo problem. At this point I don't care as long as I know what is up I will leave the thing run in sleep mode and never shut down completely- barring a power outtage. Setup on currently sitting on kitchen table where the old guy can have proper light to see - so have to move it - one step left and then I am up and running. Thanks for all the help and support.

ok up and running - booted first time . However, getting a weird page when doing any search (explorer or firefox) saying the site is not trustworthy. Never seen this - looks like a windows goof up . I did reset the time/date. Any ideas. I Also get a error code when i search for windows updates= 80072F8F.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom