Crucial M500 SSD slow windows 7 boot

In Windows 7 it just kept sending me the failed HDD warning.

You should have just backed up what you needed, took it outside and put a bullet into the drive.

You also said your hard drive was a seagate right ?
Not trying to troll you here, but don't rely on seagates to last for a long time. :|
I rather you put 70.00 bucks towards western digital next time.
6 years straight of WD and buy frequently during the time line because of the service and friendly tech support.

Something on your HDDs is causing you to hang. And since I have the exact 1.5TB Seagate that is dying and sometimes causing exact that issue I'm going to point my finger at that. I would run Seagate's tool to see if you might have an issue with that drive.

Oh crap that is my old HDD I used to have until it just failed randomly
The one I have now is Seagate ST1500Dm003-9yn16g according to crystal disk info

I really should update my sig

OP was complaining about a 30 second boot time, not me. Mine is quicker. Like I was saying though, 30 seconds is still quick. Who cares? I remember when XP used to take about 3 minutes to load on a Pentium 2. I've learned to not care about boot times.

Edit: As to the drive, mine was causing my programs to hang and anything I did on the desktop in Windows 8. In Windows 7 it just kept sending me the failed HDD warning.

Actually 30 seconds is good but that is without my HDDs connected but I need access to those drives. With the drives it is almost 1.5min or so stuck at the starting windows screen.

You should have just backed up what you needed, took it outside and put a bullet into the drive.

Not trying to troll you here, but don't rely on seagates to last for a long time. :|
6 years straight of WD and buy frequently during the time line because of the service and friendly tech support.

LOL I had someone on another forum recommend me a Seagate when the 1.5tb the one still mentioned in my sig died and said they just had a bad run with the original 1.5tb drives. They told me to avoid WD like the plague as they fail quite quickly.

My old WD drive in my old rig has 63072 hours on time according to HD tune and that in itself is throwing an error. I can't remember exactly what it said but I think it was just because the drive had a lot of milage.

EDIT: sig fixed:)

I have all Seagate drives besides 2 and they all run fine. All but 2 are older than 5 years too. This particular drive was one of the bad batch my best friend had some luck with. When he upgraded to a 32TB RAID5 array he gave me this drive to get it out of his closet. I figured it was going to die anyways so I didn't keep anything important on it. It isn't plugged in but still sitting in my machine because I'm too lazy to take it out right now.

Oh crap that is my old HDD I used to have until it just failed randomly
The one I have now is Seagate ST1500Dm003-9yn16g according to crystal disk info

I really should update my sig

Actually 30 seconds is good but that is without my HDDs connected but I need access to those drives. With the drives it is almost 1.5min or so stuck at the starting windows screen.

LOL I had someone on another forum recommend me a Seagate when the 1.5tb the one still mentioned in my sig died and said they just had a bad run with the original 1.5tb drives. They told me to avoid WD like the plague as they fail quite quickly.

My old WD drive in my old rig has 63072 hours on time according to HD tune and that in itself is throwing an error. I can't remember exactly what it said but I think it was just because the drive had a lot of milage.

EDIT: sig fixed:)
You should plug one in at a time to figure out who is holding you back. Then scan the drive for errors or check to see if any programs on it could be affecting the boot up.

Yea the 1.5TB drives from Seagate you avoid big time. I think it was the 7200.11s or 10s. Can't remember for sure and too lazy to take mine out to see. This particular one has been running for years though. Mounting it in Linux caused it to go crazy for some reason and I've had issues since.

As to WD, all but 2 WD drives I've ever owned have failed hard on me. Fail so hard I couldn't even try to swap a board to grab my data. So although their drives are just as fine as Seagate I tend to stick to Seagate because I've had good luck with them.

I've used both, Back when I built my last system I got a Seagate 1TB and that has been run solid since 08 as the main drive and about a yr and a half ago added a SSD and the seagate is still running solid and I still use that PC a lot, I use the new one for gaming mostly and surfing the forums and the old one for everything else. I've had some great luck with WD too and is what I usually get but Seagate has been doing me well too and got the 3TB on sale so went with Seagate again for my storage drive.

Yea the 1.5TB drives from Seagate you avoid big time. I think it was the 7200.11s or 10s. Can't remember for sure and too lazy to take mine out to see. This particular one has been running for years though. Mounting it in Linux caused it to go crazy for some reason and I've had issues since.

The 1.5TB SeaGate I have was one of the "bad" ones that was affected by the bad firmware. I didn't catch it in time, and ended up having to send it into SeaGate to get them to flash it (unless they just swapped out the controller card, which is possible as well). After that though, it's been running fine ever since.

As to WD, all but 2 WD drives I've ever owned have failed hard on me. Fail so hard I couldn't even try to swap a board to grab my data. So although their drives are just as fine as Seagate I tend to stick to Seagate because I've had good luck with them.

Heh I guess you and I are like mirrors of a pond right ?
Different specs different **** ups on different hardware huh pal ? -_-
When you put both companys side by side they do fail on the same levels over a period of time I've seen some wd drives in the past I stay away from like the plague.

But yeah mikee do what pp suggested if you feel the need go ahead and rma them to seagate.
Ask the technician if they will give you a different model version than the one you bought.

I think I have boiled the issue down to the AHCI driver. I saw a thread on another forum that they had 1 ssd and no hdds and they had over a minute at the splash screen and said they updated their AHCI driver and the issue was resolved. I tried this but after the driver update the computer freezes at the end of setup and I can't click finish. then I hit the reset button and windows bsods before fully booting. I system restored back but then I'm back to the slow boot. I wonder where I can get a working AHCI driver. I thought the AMD one would work since its an amd chipset.

my motherboard is an ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3. Not sure about the serial number

Back
Top Bottom