Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Here it goes | build

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
PP Mguire
Build Guru

Default Re: Here it goes

Yea Ivy is cheaper, supply and demand, yada yada, that's why I said used lol. You can find some 3930k chips on ebay for 300 bucks. I know I've seen my 3960x as low as 600 but they're practically the same chip. Up to you.

If you plan to run 100% stock this EVO would work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=35-103-099

Although with the amount of cash you're putting down I would go with either of these two with some Scythe GTs or Noctua fans for silence.
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com
CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i Water Cooler - Newegg.com

SSD is a whole different ballpark. What separates them is IOPS and quality basically since pretty much all good SATA3 SSDs fill the bus. (Yes that's 550MB/s both ways) Basically you want whoever is made to take the most abuse for the longest period of time while doing it the fastest. Most better quality SSDs these days actually have a higher potential lifespan than even platter drives. The price you pay for performance is still unfortunately very high but extremely worth it.

If you're not gaming and this is for your everyday use PC I suggest this bad boy. If you want the 240 version for the bigger machine I also suggest the EVO or the Intel 730 (for VMs)
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.