Transfer over network spotty, help please

If it's just local file transfers, I don't see how it would be your ISP. Would have to be the router.

Have you tried doing a hard 30/30/30 reset on your router? When you say you did a factory reset, I assume you meant you did this through the GUI?

A 30/30/30 reset is:

Hold the reset button down for 30 seconds. While STILL holding the button down, UNPLUG the router from power. Continue holding the button down for 30 seconds. Plug the power back in while STILL holding the reset button down. After plugging it back into power, continue holding for another 30 seconds. In total, you should have held the reset button down for 90 seconds without letting off of it. After the last 30-second hold, release it and wait for it to boot back up completely. Then power it off, and plug it back in. When it's fully booted again, log into the web GUI and reconfigure it.

FIle transfers are router/signal. Large file transfers cause wireless dip which means the signal rate lowers and that lowers your transfer rate. If it's indeed just wireless having these issues then try the 30 reset first then look to see if your wireless device is fine.

You can see if it's rate dip by monitoring the connection status. If it drops well below 20 or so Mb then you have a signal issue.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
Good to hear. More than likely your router was getting overloaded. I have to reset my POS all the time.

I had to do it to my WRT54Gv6 a lot - thing only had like 6MB of RAM, so it would always get overloaded after streaming Netflix and 2 people trying to browse the internet. Switched it out for a WRT54Gv1 (16MB of RAM I think?) with a Netgear AP hooked up to take some of the load off, and it helped. Thinking about swapping it out for an Asus N66U though.

I left my E4200 at my sisters house so I'm using a WRT120N instead. Damn thing has the worst chipset ever IMO. My WRT54G has been rock solid since like 2006?

Back
Top Bottom