What Type of Ethernet Cable Should I Get?

teetar

Beta member
Hello, after just upgrading my router and discovering my internet speed actually maxed out above 20 Mb/s rather than 4, I am very excited. I own an Xbox 360, and for the sake of stability I want to hook it up with an Ethernet cable, I just don't know what category to get. I'm no expert, however, I believe that a solid, shielded cable will be good for me which just leaves me with the question of what speed my cable should be, the answer to which I have no idea. Given a 20+ Mb/s internet speed, how fast should an Ethernet be in comparison?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Teetar

I've been buying mine from newegg for real good prices, I paid $12 for a 50 ft cat 5e to get rid of wireless on a PC on the floor above, It's amazing how much markup stores put on these cables, A 6ft is around $2-$3 on newegg but last time I looked in a store it was close to $20 for a 6ft cable.

Dauntae

I buy raw cable from Fry's and make my own. The sell it by the foot for like .25c or something real cheap like that. Per foot price goes lower the higher you go.

I buy raw cable from Fry's and make my own. The sell it by the foot for like .25c or something real cheap like that. Per foot price goes lower the higher you go.

I tried that ONECE lol I SO messed up on the order of wires, Gotta get myself one of the tools to help with wiring the clips on.

I tried that ONECE lol I SO messed up on the order of wires, Gotta get myself one of the tools to help with wiring the clips on.

Only tool you need is one to crimp the end on. That and something to strip the jacket off to expose the twisted pairs.

Back
Top Bottom