Crucial M500 SSD slow windows 7 boot

mikee

Fully Optimized
I just upgraded to a crucial M500 SSD and went back to windows 7 for driver compatibility reasons. this fixed my last issue which was the freezing I mentioned in my last thread. With windows 7 that issue is gone. I now have an issue where the boot time is exceedingly long. It sits at the starting windows screen for more than a minute. After that windows boots up and zips right along like you would expect from an SSD. I have the following hard drive configuration.

1. SSD (windows boot drive)
2 1.5TB files drive
3. 500GB Old windows drive formatted storage for fraps recordings and extra games

I just upgraded to a crucial M500 SSD and went back to windows 7 for driver compatibility reasons. this fixed my last issue which was the freezing I mentioned in my last thread. With windows 7 that issue is gone. I now have an issue where the boot time is exceedingly long. It sits at the starting windows screen for more than a minute. After that windows boots up and zips right along like you would expect from an SSD. I have the following hard drive configuration.

2 1.5TB files drive
3. 500GB Old windows drive formatted storage for fraps recordings and extra games

Let me ask you a few questions, for starters what kind of raid format do you use ?
1.Do you have any particular programs booting up while windows is coming on ?

2.Is this yours: Newegg.com - Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1

If not link us your version of the drive.
Your drive setup is similiar to mine only thing is I don't use ssd's mostly for quick fragmentation problems.

It would be good if you could use western digital blue for windows 7.
Reason why I say this it has very good boot time and reliability.
It takes my hard drive about 5-20 seconds to boot windows 7 pro and windows 8 pro.

I would take your seagate and put the recordings on it and nothing more than that.
Any videos over 30 gigs use convertx2dvd aisssesoft blu-ray ripper to shrink them down to 1gb-3gb and store them in a folder.
Keeps the drive from having to store big files and risk a drive failure later in the future/
The ssd I would use for something else but thats just my opinion. :D

Last edited:

2 1.5TB files drive

Checked for a firmware update?

Let me ask you a few questions, for starters what kind of raid format do you use ?
1.Do you have any particular programs booting up while windows is coming on ?

2.Is this yours: Newegg.com - Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1

If not link us your version of the drive.
Your drive setup is similiar to mine only thing is I don't use ssd's mostly for quick fragmentation problems.

It would be good if you could use western digital blue for windows 7.
Reason why I say this it has very good boot time and reliability.
It takes my hard drive about 5-20 seconds to boot windows 7 pro and windows 8 pro.

I would take your seagate and put the recordings on it and nothing more than that.
Any videos over 30 gigs use convertx2dvd aisssesoft blu-ray ripper to shrink them down to 1gb-3gb and store them in a folder.
Keeps the drive from having to store big files and risk a drive failure later in the future/
The ssd I would use for something else but thats just my opinion. :D

Mine is the 240GB version. The whole point of getting an ssd was to speed up windows and it does that just not in the boot time. I have no raid,

Checked for a firmware update?

yes it came with the latest firmware.

I remember one of my buddies having a very similar issue, but I can't remember what SSD he had; he was also on Win8 though.

I'll have to ask him what he did to fix it, because it was a while ago and I can't remember lol.

I used to have it on win8 but there were issues with it not loading apps well they would go into not responding for about half a minute but win 7 in that regard is ok. The SSD loads apps quite well once booted.

Well I asked him, so I'll let you know what he says when he gets back to me.

Friend got back to me, and he said his issue was because of old firmware, so not the issue with you.

Have you tried disconnecting the other 2 drives and seeing if boot times improve?

Mine is the 240GB version. The whole point of getting an ssd was to speed up windows and it does that just not in the boot time.

Hmm if thats your only concern I wouldn't be concerned about it.
If it takes more than a minute to boot up I would look into getting a good defragmenter or optimization tool and see if it may help optimize 7 boot time.

I'm going to ask you this, boot windows, hit the start button, type msconfig, next look at your startup options.
Screen shot both tabs containing services and apps currently active and bring them back here.
If you have too much going on your ssd drive, even a regular hard drive will begin to slow down and suffer.

Back
Top Bottom