What laptop should I buy?

Viridian

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. My laptop is 6 years old and it's so slow, laggy, and the screen is broken so I seriously need a replacement. I need your help deciding what laptop to buy.

The two main problems of my old laptop are the memory (1 GB RAM) and the screen (problem with ribbon cable resulting to screen flickering). The screen flickering began 3-4 years after I bought this laptop. On the fifth year I had it repaired and the ribbon cable was replaced. It was okay for about 6 months then the flickering recurred.

First off, I'd like to start with the things I'm unsure of:
> What laptop brand to buy? Acer, HP, Lenovo, Asus, etc? - my laptop is Acer and the only thing I can complain about is that they could have made a better ribbon cable.
> What operating system to choose? Windows 7, or Windows 8? - I'm using Windows 7 but I'm not sure if I want to stay with 7 or upgrade to 8
> Should I buy a tablet with a detachable keyboard, or the classic laptop?

These are the things I'm looking for in a laptop:
> A laptop with OS pre-installed (Windows 7 or 8) or as long as my total expenses will be $700 or less
> 8 GB RAM
> at least 500 GB HDD
> A laptop that won't have a ribbon cable / flickering problem.
> A laptop that can be used without the battery - I use my laptop for hours at a time, so the battery will not last long. I use my old laptop without the battery. I just plug it in like a desktop pc.
> My budget is maximum of $700
> A laptop that I can use for at least 5 years. - this might be asking too much but after all, my old laptop is 6 years old.

Here's what I'm planning to do with my new laptop:
> Play games - Wizard101, BigFish games (I'm not looking for a gaming laptop. Wizard101 has a low system requirements. This game will run smoothly in a 2 GB RAM computer)
> Record video using Bandicam while playing Wizard101
> Multiple tabbed browsing while playing

I don't know a lot about computers and what to look for when buying so if I miss anything, please let me know.

I'm looking forward to reading your responses. Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom