Laptop keeps dropping wi-fi

raekwonhscbb

Beta member
Hi, I've had an Acer Aspire 5750 for the last 3 or so years and largely it has worked fine without problems. However, recently my wifi connection has started to drop.

The laptop will connect fine to begin with, work flawlessley for a bit and then, all of a sudden, the connection will be lost and it will come up with a "No networks could be found" message. This happens both at home and at university, so the problem is not with the connections themselves.

Once the connection drops, if I shut the lid of my laptop and then open it 5 seconds later and login, the connection is back to normal. Obviously, I'd like to have the problem resolved in some other way if possible.

The driver card is Atheros AR5B97 with 9.1.0.334 update, apparently the latest possible. I already unchecked the option for time saving which shuts off internet connection to save power, so that's not the reason either

Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks

I'm assuming you used the "Check for updates" that's built into Device Manager? If so, I wouldn't trust that, because that's just the "latest" that M$ has; not necessarily the latest the manufacturer has. Latest I found was: 10.0.0.274

Drivers for Atheros AR5B97 and Windows 7

Yes, even though it's a .CZ site, it's safe. It's an Atheros driver site I've used for years without issue. Download the driver from that link, and then install it. You may have to manually install it through device manager if it doesn't have a setup file included.

To manually install it, extract the .ZIP to a folder somewhere. Then open Device Manager -> Right click your wireless card -> Update Driver software... -> Browse my Computer for driver software -> pick the location of your extracted drivers -> Next -> Let it install

Aaaah, really thought it had fixed it as it worked fine for a long time but it isn't fixed. Had to do the whole close laptop, log in again procedure to get it working fine.

Any other possible suggestions guys and girls? thanks in advance

Hmm, have you tried disabling the "Allow Windows to turn this device off to save power" feature?

Another thing, when it messes up like this, do you still have an IP or any connection info? Have you checked Device Manager to see if it still recognizes the card?

I remember having a similar issue with a different wifi card... I ended up buying a $20 replacement and swapped it out and never had the issue again.

Hmm, have you tried disabling the "Allow Windows to turn this device off to save power" feature?

Another thing, when it messes up like this, do you still have an IP or any connection info? Have you checked Device Manager to see if it still recognizes the card?

I remember having a similar issue with a different wifi card... I ended up buying a $20 replacement and swapped it out and never had the issue again.

Yeah, already did this a couple of days ago, it shouldn't get disabled by Windows anymore.

I'll check it next time it goes off.

Normally the process goes:

1. Work fine
2. Lose connection to internet
3. Shows all expected connections available but not connected to any
4. Try to connect to the standard one, fail and then
5. Show "No connections available" message
6. I cry :hrmph:

Have you tried disabling/reenabling the wireless adapter through Device Manager when this happens, rather than just closing your lid/re-logging in?

Have you tried disabling/reenabling the wireless adapter through Device Manager when this happens, rather than just closing your lid/re-logging in?

Nah, not yet. I'd like to find some solution for a permanent fix though, naturally. I play poker for money online and missing ~10 hands due to this issue every 2 hours does add up quickly. (I play tournaments and not cash games, in tournaments when you sit out you lose chips where as in cash games you dont)

Back
Top Bottom