programs freezing on Crucial M500 SSD

mikee

Fully Optimized
I just bought a Crucial M500 240GB SSD and after reinstalling windows I noticed that programs and applications freeze up for sometimes 20 seconds and this happens a lot. I have the SSD as my boot drive and the other 2 hard drives are still in my computer. Although I had them unhooked during windows install to ensure windows files only install on the SSD. I have the SSD set to AHCI mode in the bios which is what I heard you have to do if you want trim to work. I am very new to SSDs and have no idea what's causing all this freezing but it is very annoying.

edit: ok I found what firmware I am on it is MU05 which is the latest. It actually took 4 min to open crystal disk info to check that just so you have an idea of the unresponsiveness

Any other ideas? I really can't use the computer like this

Last edited:
If you haven't yet, try swapping the SATA cable with some other device and plug it in SATA 1 making it master.

ok ill try that the order of the drives is sort of messed up now i think this ssd is disk 2

0 and 1 are the other mechanical drives

it still does with everything else unplugged that is how I installed windows I unplugged my 500 and 1.5tb drives and just had my dvd rom and the ssd. I ran like that for a while yesterday and it still happened.

Edit: I have been looking around other places for a solution and the only thing I people are doing to fix this issue is either updating their AHCI drivers (looked for and cannot find them for my motherboard for win8) or setting the drive to IDE mode. I don't know if I should just go back to IDE mode or not some say the SSD won't perform as well but some also say it doesn't make a noticable difference.

Last edited:
AHCI is required for TRIM to work which basically makes it so the SSD doesn't start killing itself. Try using a Windows 7 driver, go back to 7, or look at getting a new board.

the win7 drivers promptly present me with an unsupported operating system message upon attempting to install them.

I found something through a program called slimdrivers but the freezing problem is rendering the install useless i can't even click next before the program goes into not responding state

I really don't want to go back to windows 7 as I have a genuine bought copy of windows 8 I got from a friend who tried it and didn't like it. The only copy of 7 I had was a pirated copy

the win7 drivers promptly present me with an unsupported operating system message upon attempting to install them.

I found something through a program called slimdrivers but the freezing problem is rendering the install useless i can't even click next before the program goes into not responding state

I really don't want to go back to windows 7 as I have a genuine bought copy of windows 8 I got from a friend who tried it and didn't like it. The only copy of 7 I had was a pirated copy
Then why not get a cheap 970 am3+ board or something and fully utilize that SSD?

Sent from my Z740 using TechForums

Back
Top Bottom