Extremely Sluggish Performance

rhu1949

Daemon Poster
I haven't used my PC in over a month. It was actually in storage. Last time I used it everything was pretty much peachy. I had an annoying memory thing going on, but I asked here and gathered that it wasn't a big deal. So I set up the PC tonight and...10 minutes after pushing the power button it comes to the log in screen. I am thinking maybe there were updates last time I used it and things are slow because of that somehow. So I tried to restart it and it takes another 10 minutes to get to the starting windows screen. Then about another 10 to get up to the home screen. WTF. EVERYTHING is slow. Pulling up the task manager takes minutes. When I actually get to look at the processes and usage nothing is out of whack. Very few things running (less than 60 which is normal from what I can recall) and the CPU is hovering around 0% and the memory usage is really low as well. I am clueless about what to do. Is what I have shared enough information to provide a suggestion?

If you had moved your PC to put it in storage what I could say is make sure the CPU heatsink is seated properly and try taking out the RAM sticks and reseat them as well as make sure each cable is secure.

I'll try that. It is just torturous waiting on this thing to start up to see if changes helped.

I am pretty sure I have seen you say that you don't run AV. Is that right?

Would wiping everything and doing a clean install be extreme at all? The only things that I have on here that I remotely care about are a few videos from BF4.

Last edited:
If it helped it shouldn't be so sluggish lol. You running a HDD?

No, I don't run an AV but that's because I don't ever get infected. A format is the bottom line thing to try, but if it's something that has been jarred loose or something it won't help.

True. LOL.

I am updating some things and will see about the connections after I have everything up to date.

Edit: I run Windows 7 off of an SSD

Last edited:
Well I restarted automatically after windows updates finished and things seem to be back to normal. I'll check connections after I shut down anyway. Weird experience all around.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

While I am at it I'll ask this; why won't the firmware update on my SSD? I've seen mention of it quite a bit, but I have the impression that it isn't a huge dea. Or is it? It is the Samsung Evo 840 btw.

Sometimes firmware won't update when you're booted to that drive. You either have to put it in another machine to update it or use a DOS program if available. If you aren't having problems with your drive then I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom