Computer locking up, possible overheating??

fromthegang

Beta member
Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short as possible:

I just bought a new computer. Took it to my college dorm, plugged it in, thing works great. However, after a few hours of use, the screen began to stutter (like the frame rate would drop), then it would return to normal after a few seconds. This kept happening for about 10 minutes, until finally the computer froze up completely. I couldn't Alt-F4, CtrlAltDelete, or anything and had to force shutdown the computer. Powered it up again, same thing happened, so I decided to unplug it. When I grabbed the tower, it was fairly hot, especially above where the CPU was.

My college dorm is fairly warm, however, probably somewhere in the low 80s (we have leaky radiators), so I decided to take the PC home to my house and try it out in my basement, which is probably around 50-60 degrees. It ran completely smooth with no problems. After several hours of running intensive, resource heavy programs on it, I put my hand on the computer. It wasn't hot at all, and the air coming out of the fan vents wasn't even warm.

Thinking that the problem had somehow fixed itself, I took the computer up to my room, which was 70 degrees according to the thermometer and plugged it in. I played it for about three hours before, without any warning whatsoever, the screen locked up again, and I had to force shutdown the PC.

To me, this seems like a temperature issue. But I find it hard to believe that a 10 degree difference would make the PC lock up altogether. My old PC would at least blue screen and shut down when it overheated, while this one simply freezes up. I figured I would ask around before I started buying new (and most likely the wrong) parts for the PC.

The CPU is a AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz
The cooling unit on the CPU is a Coolermaster Seidon 120m Water Cooler.
The GPU is a NVidia GTX 750 TI 2gb GDDR5
OS is Windows 7 64 bit
16GB of RAM
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
800 Watt power supply

I thought that the water cooling system would be more than enough to cool the PC (with several other fans, of course), and when I was in my basement I checked to see if the pump activated when I powered it on (which it did). Is there a chance that the pump shuts off after a while, and that causes the CPU to overheat?

What do you guys think? The computer is still under warranty if it is indeed a faulty part. (But if this is due to a poor choice in part selection, then that would be my bad)

Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like overheating of your gpu.

D/L hwmonitor, HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting and see how hot things are getting.

GPUs typically run Mid 80s gaming and cpus run warm too, ~70-80C max is okay.

That's what I was thinking, which makes sense as to why it worked fine in my cold basement.

I will try running the program you suggested as soon as I can. I had to leave the computer at my house when I returned to my dorm, but I'm going to try to make it home sometime this week to try it out.

Thank you!

I would put money on the fact that your motherboard does not officially support your CPU and that it only supports up to 140w TDP processors. The VRMs are probably cooking causing you to freeze. Typically if an Nvidia card crashes due to heat or being unstable the driver crashes resetting the settings and puts you on the desktop. What you're explaining is pretty much what happens when you're having issues with RAM, CPU, or the motherboard. The massive flux in ambient temp would make a serious difference to passively cooled VRMs on the motherboard.

Personally, I would take your whole machine back to whoever you bought it from and use that money to build you a system that is a bit more balanced.

I would put money on the fact that your motherboard does not officially support your CPU and that it only supports up to 140w TDP processors. The VRMs are probably cooking causing you to freeze. Typically if an Nvidia card crashes due to heat or being unstable the driver crashes resetting the settings and puts you on the desktop. What you're explaining is pretty much what happens when you're having issues with RAM, CPU, or the motherboard. The massive flux in ambient temp would make a serious difference to passively cooled VRMs on the motherboard.

Personally, I would take your whole machine back to whoever you bought it from and use that money to build you a system that is a bit more balanced.

That's what other people have told me so far.

I contacted the company I bought it from, and they're in the process of reimbursing me. Luckily I didn't throw out any of the packaging or anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom