PC abruptly switches off at random times

PC shuts down inevitably after I swapped the 2 old RAM sticks with the new ones (and vice versa).

The Corsair RM650 looks like a good PSU replacement for my system. Any thoughts?

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I may have found the source of the problem. The socket board which powers my computer went kaput. It started sizziling and after a few attempts at switching it on and off the switch burned out. I had to remove the switch and hardwire the sockets to the main power.

And yet again, despite all that celebration and excitment that the issue has finally been settled, what else could I possibly expect? *peeeew* The computer fails again, switching itself off and on, off and on... wanna hear the bad news?

Once the computer settled itself, I logged on and the system began to crash after a few minutes. Everything froze, black screen and a sudden BSOD flashed on for a few microseconds before the reset. I can confirm that the SSD has gone kaput as well. I have changed the sata cables and I have also plugged it to this laptop where I am posting this message from using the usb adapter. The laptop froze too and to conclude everything I'd guess that I have no hope other than spending hundreds of bucks on new and better quality hardware.

That ******n power socket didn't ruin my machine did it?

Not having a real good PSU I'd be willing to put money down on it sending more volts to your PSU than it can handle or browning out real bad.

As to the SSD, plug it back in and unplug your HDD. Set SATA ports to IDE and see if it comes up. If it does you need to do a secure wipe on it and see if there is an updated firmware. That should reset it. I had to do this with my Corsair twice when Windows 8 was giving me some serious issues.

Not having a real good PSU I'd be willing to put money down on it sending more volts to your PSU than it can handle or browning out real bad.

As to the SSD, plug it back in and unplug your HDD. Set SATA ports to IDE and see if it comes up. If it does you need to do a secure wipe on it and see if there is an updated firmware. That should reset it. I had to do this with my Corsair twice when Windows 8 was giving me some serious issues.

I can still briefly view the folders and system files I had saved on it before the PC crashes. There's no way I can make an image of the drive either. Whattever was inside that SSD is probably garbage and I don't think I'm gonna rely on it anymore. That drive failed on me too often.

Still worth a shot though even to use as a secondary game SSD or something.

All my games and applications are installed on my HDD. However, I was never able to figure out how to reopen the programs after a fresh windows installation. Maybe because the registries have been deleted or something. If I could find a way to reopen the programs without re-installing everything then it would make my life much easier.

I'm gonna update the SSD firmware through the bios. Let's hope for the best. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom