i5 4570 not enough for high end gaming?

PIKACHUU

Beta member
Hello,

I built my own rig recently and i am now worried my i5 4570 cannot handle maxed out settings,

at the moment i am currently playing a lot of Diablo 3 and when there is a lot of combat and action on the screen my fps can drop down from a steady 60 (vertical sync) to around 30-40

I know that Diablo 3 isnt a demanding game but still , the CPU is the only thing i can think of causing this,

My rig >
780Ti HOF 3 GB
i5 4570
8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ
Windows 8

Everything updated with latest stable drivers
Temps >

GPU : Usually around 50 and never above 73.
CPU : Usually around 30 idle and 50-60 on load but never above 65.

Worth mentioning as well is that i had my Dxdiag and MSINFO investigated by EA Support and they found no faults (Not sure if its worth anything but thought i would mention it)

I am considering upgrading to an i7 but only if i am sure this is caused by my i5.

Thankful for any help :)

Last edited:
The i5 is definitely not holding you back. There are very few games if any that utilize Hyper Threading which is the only real difference between the i5 and i7. I can't say for sure what is causing the frame drop, but I am positive it isn't the processor holding you back.

I have a similar rig with an i5 and 770 and I play diablo 3 on max settings without frame drop.

Have you checked your temps while gaming?

Use HWMonitor and open it up in the background while gaming. Then check what the highest value for your GPU/CPU are after you're done or when you get the frame drop.

The i5 is definitely not holding you back. There are very few games if any that utilize Hyper Threading which is the only real difference between the i5 and i7. I can't say for sure what is causing the frame drop, but I am positive it isn't the processor holding you back.

I have a similar rig with an i5 and 770 and I play diablo 3 on max settings without frame drop.

Alright, thanks for the info, ill stay with the i5 then

i can play without any issue normally but when stuff gets extra intense and there is spells and **** all over the place thats when it occurs.

Have you checked your temps while gaming?

Use HWMonitor and open it up in the background while gaming. Then check what the highest value for your GPU/CPU are after you're done or when you get the frame drop.

I always have HW monitor up and my CPU is idling around 30 and under load it is usually around 50 but can sometimes go all the way up to 60ish but never over 65.

CPU is usually quite cool around 50 but can sometimes go up to 73 but never above 73

Can it be my RAM?

What can i really try?

It is so annoying cause i dont have a clue how to troubleshoot this :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I just built a rig for someone with an i5-4570 and a 780 (non-Ti), it blows every game he throws at it out of the water.

I've noticed weird happenings when a GPU isn't making correct contact with the MOBO, so one thing you could try is to reseat the card. And make sure it's locked in securely.

I just built a rig for someone with an i5-4570 and a 780 (non-Ti), it blows every game he throws at it out of the water.

I've noticed weird happenings when a GPU isn't making correct contact with the MOBO, so one thing you could try is to reseat the card. And make sure it's locked in securely.

I did try a R9 290 card earlier ( Same issues with fps drop when there is a lot of **** going on ) and i then switched to the 780Ti and i know for a fact that it is locked in securely...

I am using a Z87N-WIFI MOBO

It's a problem with the game. Another guy here was having an issue with CPU usage and Diablo 3. After some Google others are having the same issue with a plethora of different processors.

It's more than enough CPU. I have two systems side by side nearly identical except one uses the 975 Phenom and the other a 4670k. Let me put it this way even the 975 Phenom can easily play any game. I do mean any game. There is about a 5-10-25% increase with the high FPS spikes on certain games with the 4670k vs the 975. I would say 15% average.. Also higher maintained low FPS. Example BF3 with the 4670k (GTX 760) @ 185 Max 120 average. BF3 975 BE (HD 7870) 155 Max 95 average. Each system also handles BF4 easily.

Back
Top Bottom