ALWAYS CHECK THE SIMPLE STUFF

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
This isn't a question but a story of what I went through to help a friend, Well A friend ordered the parts for a new build and ordered almost the same build as mine but a model down on the motherboard (Asus Z87-A and I have the Plus model) and a i7 instead of the i5 I have. Well anyway it was working fine with his old GTX260 he had while he waited for his GTX760 to come in. Well anyway he got the 760 and when he booted it up the led's on the MB stopped on the GPU slot so he thought he had a bad card come in so instead of waiting he ordered another and was going to send it back for a refund but when the second came in it did the same thing. So he asked me to bring my system over last night and try then in mine to see if there was a issue.Well any way I took the drive (He lives about 35 miles away) And when I got there he had his running on the 260 so he unplugged everything and when I was hooking mine up so I could show him some stuff on my system I noticed the plug for the monitor had a usb as part of the same plug???? HMM He had it hooked up through a KVM switch so I said whatever. He has it for a home server he uses so I hooked mine up with my 470's still in it and what do you know, led stopped on the GPU on mine too???? First words ou of my mouth was nix the KVM and it booted right up LOL So after we put a new cable to the monitor I put the 760 in his and it booted right up LOL He was a happy camper to say the least and since he's had a TON of OT and got double time and 1/2 working through the holiday weekend he decided to keep both 760's so we set them up in SLI and it's running great. No idea why it didn't work with my 470's but best we could think was the PCI-E 3.0 wasnt working with the KVM but it also didn't work with my 470's which are 2.0 BUT booted up fine with the 260??? Well anyhow my point is when building a system just keep it simple and no extras until you KNOW everything is working then add the extra stuff like the KVM or the second GPU. It will help figuring out what is causing a issue if you should have one. So I basically took down my system, Drove 70 miles in a truck that LOVES gas just to find out he has a incompatible or issued KVM switch LOL. He's a good friend anyway and was good to see him, been a while since we now work different shifts and he works a lot of weekends.

Dauntae

This isn't a question but a story of what I went through to help a friend, Well A friend ordered the parts for a new build and ordered almost the same build as mine but a model down on the motherboard (Asus Z87-A and I have the Plus model) and a i7 instead of the i5 I have. Well anyway it was working fine with his old GTX260 he had while he waited for his GTX760 to come in. Well anyway he got the 760 and when he booted it up the led's on the MB stopped on the GPU slot so he thought he had a bad card come in so instead of waiting he ordered another and was going to send it back for a refund but when the second came in it did the same thing.

Read this later for when you go through the motions again of this problem next time.
Asus z87-PLUS doesn't like my GeForce 560 GTX [Solved] - Graphics+Cards - Motherboards

Took a read, His issue was the power not being plugged in well, This wasn't the issue, It wouldn't work on my system that has been running flawlessly and as soon as we put the new cable all was well.

Took a read, His issue was the power not being plugged in well, This wasn't the issue, It wouldn't work on my system that has been running flawlessly and as soon as we put the new cable all was well.

I understand that but the reason why I linked you something had fell out of vga pci-e socket.
What might seem to be a incompatible issue with a mobo, might be a minor damage to your vga.
If easily fixed by putting it back in and making sure its snug.
From reading here and elsewhere I've noticed more people run into that problem lately over the past year.

Tom hardware user: b6684 December 27, 2013 5:01:16 PM

One trick, when you install those PCI-E cables: be careful Not to squeeze the little latching clip while you insert it. Then listen & "feel" for the CLICK as you plug it in....

Just keep it mind for next time it happens again, thats all I wanted you to see.

That's a very good point, I myself always go with the KISS method and do one thing at a time and if a issue comes up I recheck all the simple stuff first. I'm still busting on him about it. He called the company of the switch and they said it should work and he must have a defective one LOL Well anyhow there sending him a new switch that should work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom