Building a Home Server for Virtualization.

I just remembered an old dell box I used to use. Not at home so can't verify but I think it's a core 2 duo with 4gb of RAM think it could handle being a LAMP?

I just remembered an old dell box I used to use. Not at home so can't verify but I think it's a core 2 duo with 4gb of RAM think it could handle being a LAMP?

It'll work fine. Just won't be able to virtualize everything separately - you'll have to have it running on the base OS, which is fine for a home environment IMO.

Like I said, I have (well had, now) a Pentium 4 w/ 4GB of RAM running all that stuff I posted above just fine. Didn't start struggling until I put Plex on there and tried to encode movies. Now I switched that out for a C2D e8400 with 6GB RAM.

I think my only problem is that mobo uses the old school data ribbons(IDE ribbon cables) for the drives :/. Do modern drives even have those ports anymore? Or is it all SATA?

I would like to throw in there like a 4 tb or something.

Last edited:
Can get a PCI SATA card to solve that.

Though, I find that hard to believe if it's a Core 2 Duo board - SATA started coming on boards even before that.

Just had my girl check the sticker for me. Guess it's a penguin 4. Lol gotta love my autocorrect. Pentium 4. Looks like I might have to buy some new RAM for it and some HDDs should I just build a new system and not waste my time with this old junker?

Would be alright to start out with at least, unless you wanted to build something more powerful for the future. I used the P4 machine I had because I got it for free lol. Got the C2D machine for free as well, so I upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom